Add Phaser to crash cymbal .wav file

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
thing

Add Phaser to crash cymbal .wav file

Post by thing » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:35 pm

So I want to add a phaser to a crash cymbal in a Wav file. Can this be done?

I know I'm asking/posting a lot of questions as a newb to Ableton, and I'm sorry about that.
(I wish there was a dedicated place for my questions as I hate bothering you guys with them.)
But it seems here is the place I should ask?

You all have helped me out so much I just feel a bit embarrassed posting another stupid question...
especially when I see other questions posted that I have no understanding of at all, just levels above me.

So I'll use this post to ask 2 more, and promise to go away for a month to read and learn and record, albeit with training wheels on.

1. I want to add a phaser to a crash cymbal in a Wav file. Can this be done?
2. My export sounds a bit flat. Can I master EQ the recording somewhere before exporting? I've looked around but to no avail.

I thank you all for your generous help.

Cheers

Mark

silicon1138

Re: Add Phaser to crash cymbal .wav file

Post by silicon1138 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:17 pm

Hi Mark.
On the track where you cymbal is (if it's a piece of audio, or a Simpler/Sampler instrument) you can drop Ableton's phaser plugin directly onto the track and it will 'insert' that or any effect you chose. Now you Cymbal will play through a phaser, change the phaser's parameters to your taste.
As for you mix sounding a bit flat, you can use the same principle as above, but drop the EQ8 plugin on the master channel.
You can add a touch of hi eq to brighten the overall mix.

When you render the whole track, the eq adjustments are applied as it mixes the audio to Wav.

Hope this helps.
Carl Finlow aka - Random Factor / Voice Stealer / Silicon Scally / Il.Ek.Tro / Scarletron...
OSX 10.13, Quad Core Mac Mini, Live 10 Suite.

thing

Post by thing » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:49 pm

silicon1138 wrote:Hi Mark.
On the track where you cymbal is (if it's a piece of audio, or a Simpler/Sampler instrument) you can drop Ableton's phaser plugin directly onto the track and it will 'insert' that or any effect you chose. Now you Cymbal will play through a phaser, change the phaser's parameters to your taste.
As for you mix sounding a bit flat, you can use the same principle as above, but drop the EQ8 plugin on the master channel.
You can add a touch of hi eq to brighten the overall mix.

When you render the whole track, the eq adjustments are applied as it mixes the audio to Wav.

Hope this helps.
OK, thank you. I'll be giving it a go in the next few days (mainly the weekend!). It already sounds daunting as it will probably take me an hour or two to find the phaser in the first place haha. Then I have to work out how to isolate it to just that one crash..... Are you sure it won't effect my whole drum track as the track is a .wav file. I can understand applying it to a midi drum crash cymbal, but can I do it to just one crash on a .wav (audio) file?

As for the Master question...after I finally find the EQ8 and drop it into the master channel, at this stage of my very short Ableton career, I have no idea of how to use or implement the master channel into the mix.

I'm still learning and only been doing this for a month. I'm more a guitarist and live musician than anything Ableton or the like, but I'm really enjoying recording and playing with it and creating stuff it's just sooo cool.
To be honest I'd love to be able to send some raw mp3 files I have exported (I only have 2 hahahaha) plus the .als files (if that's what their called) to someone to have a listen and a look to help me out. Is there a forum or somewhere I can go you could suggest to do that?

I'm just beginning and trying to learn as much as I can as quick as I can.

silicon1138

Post by silicon1138 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:02 pm

You can't add phaser to a cymbal if it's in a drum loop (not really anyway). The phaser will affect the entire loop because sounds are not separated onto their own individual channels. That is the disadvantage of using a loop. If you make you own loops, using say the Simpler device in Ableton Live, dropping in your own kick on one, a snare on another, etc etc, each can have their own mixer channel and you can add any effect you like to each one. There are LOTS of different ways to do this, Simpler is just one way, Impulse is another, Drum Racks another - all of these are ableton instruments.

You will find all the instruments and effects in the Live Browser (click the big triangle, top left of the screen to access it).
You can double click any instrument to set one up on it's own mixer channel. Then you can drag audio effects onto those channels as well.

You should REALLY do the built in Ableton Lessons because they teach you really well about all of these things.

Hope this helps.
Carl Finlow aka - Random Factor / Voice Stealer / Silicon Scally / Il.Ek.Tro / Scarletron...
OSX 10.13, Quad Core Mac Mini, Live 10 Suite.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:05 pm

If you are using a wav drum loop that contains many elements (kick, hats, cym, snare) and you want to apply an effect to one element it's much harder than just making the beat yourself. It can be done using multi-band dynamics, filtering and FX chains but way beyond the scope for a beginner and my time to explain.

Youtube is a great tool. When you need to know about a Live device or technique, just search and watch a few hours worth. Unless you have someone to teach you, you will have to do the work (and there is a LOT of stuff to cover) yourself.

If you are a guitar player and half decent, image on a forum where someone wants to shred like Van Halen but has only started 3 weeks ago and wants to know how to get all those techniques down.... or how you tell the notes on the neck thing of the guitar. That's about where you are at the moment and as with practicing the guitar daily, for years, it will slowly start to come.

thing

Post by thing » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:41 am

silicon1138 wrote:You can't add phaser to a cymbal if it's in a drum loop (not really anyway). The phaser will affect the entire loop because sounds are not separated onto their own individual channels. That is the disadvantage of using a loop. If you make you own loops, using say the Simpler device in Ableton Live, dropping in your own kick on one, a snare on another, etc etc, each can have their own mixer channel and you can add any effect you like to each one. There are LOTS of different ways to do this, Simpler is just one way, Impulse is another, Drum Racks another - all of these are ableton instruments.

You will find all the instruments and effects in the Live Browser (click the big triangle, top left of the screen to access it).
You can double click any instrument to set one up on it's own mixer channel. Then you can drag audio effects onto those channels as well.

You should REALLY do the built in Ableton Lessons because they teach you really well about all of these things.

Hope this helps.
Yes I thought as much. I think the best solution is for me to actually add my own midi crash over the top and apply the phaser to that.

thing

Post by thing » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:47 am

jestermgee wrote:If you are using a wav drum loop that contains many elements (kick, hats, cym, snare) and you want to apply an effect to one element it's much harder than just making the beat yourself. It can be done using multi-band dynamics, filtering and FX chains but way beyond the scope for a beginner and my time to explain.

Youtube is a great tool. When you need to know about a Live device or technique, just search and watch a few hours worth. Unless you have someone to teach you, you will have to do the work (and there is a LOT of stuff to cover) yourself.

If you are a guitar player and half decent, image on a forum where someone wants to shred like Van Halen but has only started 3 weeks ago and wants to know how to get all those techniques down.... or how you tell the notes on the neck thing of the guitar. That's about where you are at the moment and as with practicing the guitar daily, for years, it will slowly start to come.
Nice analogy and I get it. I've played guitar for over 35 years, I'm no Eddie VH, and I only gave up playing live 3 years ago due to a tennis elbow problem. Since the weekly gigs and rehearsals are gone, the problem has subsided drastically.

The learning continues....