Using MIDI controller for Chrome/Games/Programs/Apps/OS?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
miekwave

Using MIDI controller for Chrome/Games/Programs/Apps/OS?

Post by miekwave » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:14 am

I have lots of MIDI controllers. I like using the Korg Midi pad controllers. In addition to audio production, I work as a tech developer.

I have begun to ponder using MIDI controllers as useful for macros in Adobe Suite, Spreadsheets, Website Development, Campaign Management, AdWords etc.

For example:
AdWords: Pad controllers to Pause / Unpause Campaigns/AdGroups/Keywords
Photoshop: Pad controllers to select z-layers, and knobs for RGBCYMK and Alpha channel control
Web Development: Pads to select Div containers/Header/Footer/Hero/Body/Content/Buttons, etc and Block, Inline, Flex, Column, Row, Div, Hide, and knobs to record Ineractions macros for pageload, mouse over, scroll, pointer, etc.
Spreadsheets: Select All, conditional formatting, pivots, etc...
OS: Change resolution, change os Scaling, orientation, desktop & explorer icon size, os volume, os brightness, bluetooth connections, internet, multiwindow selector/cascader, etc.
Gaming: Use pad to change gears, change weapon, change avatar costumes, cast spells, select group of soldiers, hold cards in poker, pop-goes-the-weasel with 16 MPC pads, etc.
Saas products on chrome: instantly switch between 8 different gmail filters, project management assignment macros, mailchimp macros for esp campaigns, ivr call center management macros, ship station commerce management macros, etc..

I just imagine a huge productivity booster with this, as its sometimes painstaking to to do manual tweening to ineractions and basic repetitive tasks that cant be or difficult to macro
The possibilities are endless.

Has anyone had success with this?

jestermgee

Re: Using MIDI controller for Chrome/Games/Programs/Apps/OS?

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:31 am

Bome MIDI Translator

It can do all of that and I use it for this purpose. The only downside is it does not have a way to load a profile based on the app in use so need to manually select a profile but there is almost nothing that cannot be done when using Bome to do things with a MIDI device.