Punch in / punch out - without loop?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
sadfay

Punch in / punch out - without loop?

Post by sadfay » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:41 pm

So I love the shortcut for highlighting an area you might want to punch in / punch out of, for recording a new take which is:

"CMD + L"

This loops any highlighted section in the arrange view,
I love this and use it frequently! However...

What I would really, love, love, love, love would be the ability to press "CMD + L", have punch in / punch out switched on, but NOT loop!! I usually don't want to record my take over and over and having to manually turn off the Loop button at the top of Ableton is a little bit of a drag.

Or have a keyboard shortcut that turns on punch in / punch out, but not loop.

Obviously this is very knit-picky and it's not a big deal, but wondering, does anyone know if there's a way to do this?

My work around is to use keyboard shortcuts, so I use "[" and "]" for punch in and punch out, but I still have to use "CMD + L" to highlight the correct section. So I then have to make a keyboard shortcut to turn off the loop.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Or am I being extremely fussy here?

jestermgee

Re: Punch in / punch out - without loop?

Post by jestermgee » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:59 pm

Just press CMD + L again to switch off the loop.

If you are using the loop brace to set the punch markers and you have a fear of mice, do as you have done and setup keyboard shortcuts for your punch markers then you can use arrows to navigate, Shift + Arrow to highlight, CMD + L to set a loop brace (press again to switch loop off) then activate the punch markers with your new shortcuts.

Throw your mouse in the bin, you do not need it anymore.

sadfay

Post by sadfay » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:05 pm

Nah, pressing "CMD + L" doesn't turn off the loop for me.
Is that an Ableton 10 thing, maybe?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:04 pm

jestermgee wrote:Just press CMD + L again to switch off the loop.

If you are using the loop brace to set the punch markers and you have a fear of mice, do as you have done and setup keyboard shortcuts for your punch markers then you can use arrows to navigate, Shift + Arrow to highlight, CMD + L to set a loop brace (press again to switch loop off) then activate the punch markers with your new shortcuts.

Throw your mouse in the bin, you do not need it anymore.
8O

*bookmark*

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:06 pm

sadfay wrote:Nah, pressing "CMD + L" doesn't turn off the loop for me.
Is that an Ableton 10 thing, maybe?
Just checked in Live 9 and you are correct, it seems this was fixed in L10 to now toggle Loop instead of setting it on. A MIDI button on a controller would work as that is what I have mapped on my MCU.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:05 pm

As stupid as it may seem... that might be the "feature" that makes me finally upgrade.

anything that can help me move through a vocal track swiftly and not have to fumble between takes is really helpful. it's horrible feeling good about my delivery and ready to catch that flawless take... only to find that i can't bet back in front of the mic until i've fixed the punch-in and start/stop/record loop adjustments issues (again).

sadfay

Post by sadfay » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:47 pm

So my current keyboard shortcut workaround:

Cmd + L - to select (and loop) the highlighted section.
[ - turn on punch in
] - turn on punch out.
' - toggle loop on/off.

While we're on the topic of keyboard shortcuts, I found these recently and was pleasantly surprised by how useful 3 or 4 of these are!

https://patches.zone/blog/2016/5/23/abl ... e-mac-os-x

Especially:
insert fades: cmd + option + f (ctrl + alt + f)

follow transport: cmd + shift + f (ctrl + shift + f)

record: fn + f9 (f9)

insert time: cmd + i (ctrl + i)

ozinga

Post by ozinga » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:54 am

Would be great if Live behaved like some other is this department. For example when I use Studio One I don't use Punch i/o at all cause the clip is only created for the actual area I have played. And does not join or delete previous or next clip if I don't play in that area. What I mean is, If I hit record at Bar 1 and only play Between Bar 3-6 and punch out manually at Bar 10, The Clip is created from Bar 3 to 6. Not for the whole recording in -out time. Of course for midi tracks that is.