I tried to master my own music.

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
attack or decay

I tried to master my own music.

Post by attack or decay » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:37 pm

I think I'm about to give up after 10000 rough drafts of the same song between mix and master.
IDK IDK IDK...
been trying to mix the same song for one year lmao
it seriously always changes the way it sounds. *sigh*

i must not be down with the frequency : (
does anyone have any tips on how to get over this?
needless to say, it sucks to master your own material.

jestermgee

Re: I tried to master my own music.

Post by jestermgee » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:17 am

Yeah, that's why most mastering engineers have decades of experience and charge decent money for their craft.... it's probably tougher to learn all the tools and techniques to properly mix/master tracks than to learn an actual instrument.

Best advice I could offer is to do some training so you can learn the tools but of course you need to have a half-decent setup with the proper monitoring setup to get half-decent results.

There are loads of courses around, one I took years ago which was based around Ableton Live and stock effects (which helps to learn the basics before shelling out for other tools) and had some helpful info was from ProductionMusicLive:

https://productionmusiclive.teachable.c ... -to-finish

If you haven't spent a few years really focusing on this area or taken some training then that is why you are not making much headway. Time, patience and dedication, like most things.

attack or decay

Post by attack or decay » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:17 am

jestermgee wrote:Yeah, that's why most mastering engineers have decades of experience and charge decent money for their craft.... it's probably tougher to learn all the tools and techniques to properly mix/master tracks than to learn an actual instrument.

Best advice I could offer is to do some training so you can learn the tools but of course you need to have a half-decent setup with the proper monitoring setup to get half-decent results.

There are loads of courses around, one I took years ago which was based around Ableton Live and stock effects (which helps to learn the basics before shelling out for other tools) and had some helpful info was from ProductionMusicLive:

https://productionmusiclive.teachable.c ... -to-finish

If you haven't spent a few years really focusing on this area or taken some training then that is why you are not making much headway. Time, patience and dedication, like most things.
thank you! I will be checking this out, it looks like it goes very in depth.
how long have you been into mixing and mastering?
what would be some good general tips to keep the mix very 3D with 8 analog tracks (mono)?
cheers, happy mixing!

attack or decay

Post by attack or decay » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:22 am

Oh this is awesome.
I have read most of what this says but i have no rendered a mix with dither on at 16bits then convert to mp3.hmmmm.
i thought the best way was 24bit no dither 44100hz .wav?

Do you have any suggestions as to why the mix doesn't sound very dynamic after i have adjusted the tracks to sound just like i want them.
all I'm missing is that little "mmpph!" so my track doesn't sound so flat and 2d.
I am using a VUMT plug in by klanghelm and setting the caliber to -10 which i've read as the "sweet spot".
cheers and thanks!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:03 pm

Hard to say without hearing the track, can you post it?

attack or decay

Post by attack or decay » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:06 pm

Tarekith wrote:Hard to say without hearing the track, can you post it?
Thanks! i can dm it