Multiple instrument racks to switch presets?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
electrost

Multiple instrument racks to switch presets?

Post by electrost » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:27 pm

Hi all,

I've diligently created live sets for different songs and used Instrument Racks to switch presets using MIDI dummy clips within each song, as explained here and here. Now I'm pulling all of these individual live sets into a single live set with all of the songs I'll be performing. I saved all of the Instrument Racks for the individual songs and dragged them into a new Instrument Rack in the new, mega live set. I can use dummy clips and the chain selector to set each instrument rack to its related song, but I don't know how to preserve the clip/preset automation from the original song. So, for example, here's an instrument rack w/chain selector rack from an individual song:

And here's an instrument rack in my mega set, with the instrument rack from the individual songs included:

How do I get my original preset automation to work in the new, mega live set, without creating a whole new instrument rack and remapping everything?

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Multiple instrument racks to switch presets?

Post by [jur] » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:32 am

hmm... that's a tricky one.
Ableton Forum Moderator

pottering

Post by pottering » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:36 pm

(Obs: Not sure I actually understand the question)

The Rack in the 2 pics have completely different number and config of Chains, so the automation for one won't work in the other.

I think it holds the automation when you copy the same Rack to a track, then the MIDI Clip (seems if you copy the MIDI Clip first it breaks the "link").

You could try making a Big Rack that holds the already made separate instrument Racks, each in a Chain, then use it change between the "song Racks" each, instead of changing each single preset.
♥♥♥

electrost

Post by electrost » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:36 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I couldn't figure out how to reuse the mappings I'd already made, so I wound up having to remap everything.