transpose MIDI computer keyboard by half-step via keystrokes

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
walkerbeats

transpose MIDI computer keyboard by half-step via keystrokes

Post by walkerbeats » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:04 pm

hello everybody.

i use Ableton's built-in MIDI computer keyboard quite frequently when I do not have anything but my laptop, it is incredibly useful. that being said, I cannot find a way to quickly transpose the key of the MIDI computer keyboard by a half-step...

i am aware that 'z' and 'x' transpose by octave, and i have used the 'pitch' MIDI effect, but neither of these techniques are what I am after. rather than click-and-dragging the 'pitch' effect, i want to move up and down chromatically by pressing two computer keyboard keys, similar to 'z' and 'x' for octaves, this time just for half-steps.... seems like a reasonable thing to have, especially since Ableton champions the mobile/laptop only music maker.

again, i want to stay within the computer keyboard to make this happen. if the feature is not built in, is there a way to build keyboard short-cuts? it does not look like you can assign +1 or -1 to the pitch effect by a keystroke...

let me know, thanks!
:D :) 8O :roll: :?: :?: :mrgreen:

Dallon426

Re: transpose MIDI computer keyboard by half-step via keystrokes

Post by Dallon426 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:57 pm

I am looking for this right now! Any help is appreciated.

I use my keyboard on my laptop to trigger notes and I would like to be able to change the A key (on the laptop keyboard ) to whatever pitch I desire.

Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:44 pm

Anyone?

moussasfeir

Post by moussasfeir » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:13 pm

Hello,

My humble contribution as a fellow Live user.

No simple solution comes to mind, but 3 ideas:
- Install ClyphX and use it to +1/-1 on the pitch midi FX
- or: build a m4l patch that does it (if you have suite, and a bit of time to dig into m4l). There might be some online, I don't know.
- or: (quite a dirty/heavy workaround, requires to hit 2 keys each time, and doesn't work if you intend to store things in session view - but uses only core Live functions) build several empty midi clips in session view, each on a different scene, on the midi track that contains the pitch midi FX. In each of these, draw an automation on the pitch value (e.g. do 25 clips, the first with -12, the second with -11, ... , the last with +12). Assign the scene up button to key 1, then the scene down to key 2, then scene launch to key 3. Start the scene with pitch unchanged. Then you can hit 1 then 3 to pitch down, and 2 then 3 to pitch up.

Might be other solutions, but none I know.

Hope it helps. Good luck !

Moussa

neaumusic

Post by neaumusic » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:08 am

https://sound.stackexchange.com/questio ... 0302#50302

This is a global track for transposing the computer keyboard less than an octave 🙂