Need help quantizing recorded audio, to layer drum machines

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
genepriest

Need help quantizing recorded audio, to layer drum machines

Post by genepriest » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:41 pm

Ok, so I know what I want to do is possible, or at least I think it is, as I've just not been able to fully wrap my head around exactly HOW to do it, although I've seen others mention they work this way. (maybe the long way, honestly, but still!)

Right now I'm recording with a Moog Grandmother, Mother 32, and DFAM, and recording them all live into Ableton. I'm using the clock on the Mother32 to trigger the DFAM and playing melodies etc. with the Grandmother.

My question is, once something is recorded, what is the best way to find out the tempo and make the audio tracks conform to the project tempo and grid at that point, making it easy to use and add VSTs and other sequencers to play in time with what has already been recorded.

I've never had any luck sending midi/ clock from Ableton TO the Mother32 (or anything for that matter) so am I out of luck, or is there still a way to what I am trying to do?

Thank you in advance!!

EDIT: I hope I explained that properly. Basically, I’ve recorded a new record where about 80% of it was written and captured live using the above pieces of gear. I know they are locked to a tempo, but I just need to find that tempo and lock these audio tracks to the grid to sequence over (drum machines, arpeggios, etc.) and have everything stay in time.

yur2die4

Re: Need help quantizing recorded audio, to layer drum machines

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:30 pm

Of you warp it, you’ll find the tempo.

If you place it into Arrangement View, you can click the button in clip properties to make Live’s global tempo the slave of that clip.