Ableton Live Disk Overload issue

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
nathansky

Ableton Live Disk Overload issue

Post by nathansky » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:01 pm

Hey,

I had a problem with the Disk Overload indicator flashing and the sound stuttering in Ableton Live (9.7.7). This would happen after a random amount of time in my big live sets although I had only several (<10) tracks and a fast SSD. There seem to be some other people that had the same problem but I didn't find the solution anywhere online so I wanted to share my solution.

I use a laptop - HP EliteBook 9470m (running windows 7) - which has an Intel SATA Controller. When I set the laptop up, I installed all the drivers from the HP website - also the Intel driver for the SATA controller. After a lot of testing I discovered that this driver was the cause of my problems. When I uninstalled the Intel driver and used the standard windows driver for the SATA controller, my disk overload issue dissappeared.

Cheers
Nathan
Last edited by nathansky on Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

mountwest

Re: Ableton Live Disk Overload issue [solved]

Post by mountwest » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:58 am

Good stuff Nathan!

Thanks a lot for updating on the issue. It might help me with the same problem.

nathansky

Re: Ableton Live Disk Overload issue [solved]

Post by nathansky » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:39 am

I'm sorry, I was convinced too early. After hours and hours without any problem, I thought that I had found the solution. But after one more day of testing, the problem reappeared. It doesn't matter whether the files are on one SSD or on the other SSD I have installed. The problem also occurs when streaming from an USB key. Right now, I think it might be a problem of Live itself. In windows' resource monitor there isn't any disk activity when the problem occurs. Any ideas?

LarZ2

Re: Ableton Live Disk Overload issue

Post by LarZ2 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:52 pm

I switched from a 1.9 GHz laptop to a 3.4 GHz desktop, both have SDD. CPU load was 90% with the laptop, now 35% with new system.
Had skipping problems with new PC, tried everything. Finally identified the external Audio interface as the problem. My old audio was not fast enough for me new PC. Bought a new Komplete Audio 6. Rock ON...
LarZ