Extreem Loading Time

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Screeech

Extreem Loading Time

Post by Screeech » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:33 pm

Hello Everyone
I have everything installed on a Samsung T5 500Gb SSD and I'm getting like 50/70 second loading times
for Kontakt Instruments/VST's and even very long loading times for Ableton itself. Any ideas what the problem might be?

HP AMD A9 3.10 Gz
8 Gb RAM
Windows 10
Ableton Suite 10
Kontakt 6

Any suggestion would be helpful
Thanks

LarZ2

Re: Extreem Loading Time

Post by LarZ2 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:39 pm

I just upgraded my PC to a SSD. Ableton and files load in half the time. 50-70 sounds like a long time.

Do you have a hard drive also? Is the Ableton program and all VST on your SDD.
How is the performance once it is loaded and running. CPU Load?

Open your Task Manager (Cntrl Alt Del) and keep it open when running Ableton so you can see what resources are running. How much CPU, RAM, Drive etc. This may give you a clue as to what is happening inside your PC.
LarZ

LarZ2

Are your VSTs in the right folder?
Last edited by LarZ2 on Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LarZ

LarZ2

What else is loading in your start up files?
LarZ

Screeech

Post by Screeech » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:20 pm

Thanks for getting back to me

Ableton and All files are on the SSD connected to the laptop via 3.0 usb
All vst are in the right folder
I do have a ton ov vst's and kontakt inst.
Ran a speed test

17.8 DL Speed
2.17 UL Speed
51 ms Latency

Yes - 1 TB hard drive

I'll run the TM and get back to you
thanks again

Screeech

Post by Screeech » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:39 pm

I ran task manager when opening konyakt Ableton cpu meter read 0%
it took about 30/40 seconds for kontakt to open in Ableton - open Ableton CPU meter fluctuates between 0-1%
took a bit longer to open Renegade Electric Guitar and CPU in task manager read 18% when playing steady rhythem - 24% total usage - ocassionally spiked at 45%
while Ableton CPU meter read not over 9%
most running read 0% while a few were less than .2% - one at 2.6%

hope that helps

Screeech

Post by Screeech » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:41 pm

I thought of one other thing that might make a difference

While all is installed on the SSD external drive - I start Ableton from a shortcut on my desktop. Is Ableton running from the SSD or on my desktop??

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:06 am

If the app is on an external drive then it makes sense it's taking longer to load. Personally I'd keep all apps on the internal drive and leave the external for media files if you need the space.

Screeech

Post by Screeech » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:16 am

I can click on the .exe file in Ableton > programs on the external SSD start it there and the same thing happens.

By "apps on the internal drive" are yu referring to all the .dll files? So how do I load Kontack files? Do I separate the .nki onto the internal drive and keep the instruments database on the SSD?

Screeech

Post by Screeech » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:39 pm

I did uninstall ableton from the SSD and installed it on the c drive while keeping all libraries on the SSD - still runs very sloww takes forever to load instruments in Kontakt.

Is there any way to keep it from scanning vst's every time I open the program? that would save a lot of time.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:06 am

Need to post actual times you experience. "Takes forever" and "extremely long" aren't measurable.

So firstly, you need to start from default as a test without any template loading on startup. When you load Live how long does it take in seconds (times) to load completely? How long does it take to progress through the VST scan? How large is your VST library?

The VST scan cannot be bypassed as it is looking for any new VSTs added or removed. On the very first launch after install it will have to scan every plugin but after that it should be pretty quick.

My system here runs everything (VST and software) off 5 SSD drives internal, no USB. It takes about 22 seconds to progress through live loading and the VST scanning part then 12 seconds to load my template set which contains a couple of VST plugins and an empty Komplete Kontrol rack. I keep the startup template lite as adding too many VSTs does cause it to take some time. So basically it takes about 35 seconds to completely load. If I close Live and re-open, some of the data seems to be buffered and it takes only about 15 seconds to load.

If you have slow load times with Kontakt, what libraries are you loading? If you use Kontakt standalone outside Live do you see the same load issues there?

Screeech

Post by Screeech » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:17 am

Kontakt Stand Alone = 13 Sec open
Kontakt in Ableton = 13 Sec open
Ableton to Open - No Templates - Showing Plug-In List - 2:55 Sec open (list took 9 sec)
Open Renegade Acoustic 60 Sec (3.65 Gb) - Stand Alone Kontakt
Open Renegade Acoustic 27 Sec (3.65 Gb) - Ableton Kontakt

Looking at it this way I guess it's not so bad after all - also - it seems to be loading faster now that I have Ableton on the C:/ drive and not the xternal.
I also ran a speed test on everything - evidently my Samsung T5 is a dud. In the 0th position it ranks at 9.65% @ Terrible. I contacted Amazon and they are sending a replacement
Now all I have to do is figure out how to transfer 250 Gb of Library to the new SSD - any suggestions? Right now all I can come up with is load it from one USB to the other USB - should take days.

BTW
VST Folder = 12 Gb
Kontakt Factory Selection = 168 Gb
180 Gb of the 222Gb total

Thanks for all the help everyone

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:43 am

That all seems acceptable in terms of loading speeds.

Don't forget if your SSD is connected via USB you have the USB to SATA controller in there and a cheap one may be the cause of slow performance. If you need fast USB performance be sure to use a decent brand name or if possible, install internally on a SATA port if you have a desktop machine.

It's always good if you can keep an external HDD bay and a spare HDD to do backups and data copying. A dud samsung drive is pretty rare, not impossible to get but they are pretty reliable drives so before sending it back i'd be looking at the USB controller or if at all possible, testing it with a SATA port or something because all that trouble and waiting could result in the exact same experience.

Screeech

Post by Screeech » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:56 am

What exactly is a SATA port. I did the google thing so I know the definition but am still as clueless as when I began. My laptop is new and has three USB ports. 2 x 2.0 1 x 3.0 - my SSD connected to the 3 - are any of the three SATA connections

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:32 am

Screeech wrote:What exactly is a SATA port. I did the google thing so I know the definition but am still as clueless as when I began. My laptop is new and has three USB ports. 2 x 2.0 1 x 3.0 - my SSD connected to the 3 - are any of the three SATA connections
No, a laptop will only have USB or Thunderbolt connections, either of which should work with an SSD with a decent speed. The SSD itself would have a SATA connection on it and a desktop PC would have SATA connections inside. These are dedicated for storage devices instead of a universal bus.

In order to really test things further you kind of need access to hardware that allows you to do comparable tests and assist in ruling out what isn't the issue so testing the drive on a SATA connection using the same tests as a USB would let you see if your USB chain is the issue or if it is drive or OS related.