Keylab61 - Sustain Pedal

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Electriceddie

Keylab61 - Sustain Pedal

Post by Electriceddie » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:27 pm

Hi Guys,

First time here and I am sure not my last.

I have an "On Stage" Keyboard Sustain Pedal - KSP-100. I can not get it to work. It has an open -Closed slide switch on the bottom, I believe maybe for the Polarity. Any help Please is appreciated.

Thanks a Bunch

Electriceddie

jestermgee

Re: Keylab61 - Sustain Pedal

Post by jestermgee » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:05 pm

What are you connecting your foot switch too?

Normally if the polarity switch is in the Open setting, the foot switch will close a circuit when pressed which is how most controllers want it to work.

If it does not work when connected to your device, check the Live MIDI activity indicators (top right) when you press it and confirm it is sending MIDI. Next, you should check your device to see what MIDI signal it is programmed to send (may not be a sustain message). If in doubt, record a clip and trigger the pedal if it sends MIDI then check what signal was recorded.

Electriceddie

Post by Electriceddie » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:43 pm

Hi There,

Thanks for the response.

As the subject says a Keylabs61 unless I misunderstand.

I am not getting anything an I have tried 2 different foot switches. I am a total Newbie with the Keylabs61 and Live. I have used MIDI before but the old version I guess it's called now when you would connect 2 -3 Keyboards together via a MIDI cable. I don't understand this mapping and stuff. I have not found any instructions anywhere on how to set up a footswitch.

Thanks

Ed

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:48 pm

Sorry, I overlooked the title when I read your post.

No idea with a Keylab but might be an idea to check the manual for the keylab and see if there is anything that can set the footswitch.

Are you getting any midi from the keyboard at all? Can it play an instrument?

If yes, when you press the foot switch you see no activity occur in the midi indicators in Live?

Electriceddie

Post by Electriceddie » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:54 pm

(Next, you should check your device to see what MIDI signal it is programmed to send (may not be a sustain message).

When you say check the device I am not sure how too.

I can play instruments and drums.

I checked the PDF manual. There is nothing in there about the footswitch operation.

When I step on the footswitch I get NO MIDI signal in the upper right corner of the MIDI Track Indicator as you asked if I was.

Thanks
Ed

Electriceddie

Post by Electriceddie » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:40 pm

Hey Jestermgee,

I was just messing around with different presets and I came across Two things. I found the following.

1. the Sustain pedal seems to now be working, but only under certain Patches or sound banks. I am not sure what the correct term for the Sound Names & how the un-fold from the File Folder on the Far Left side from Left to Right.

2.Some of the Drums are triggered down in the first Octave. Then I find that selecting different drums under different Patch Names start playing on the 3rd "C" note from the left which do not play on the Pads. It seems only any sounds played on the 1st Octave will be also played on the Pads themselves...

Under the Drums, then Drum Hits, There is the "Drum Rack" (Which took me a while to figure out that the "DRUM RACK" does not actually make sounds) at least that's what is happening for me. Then "Top to Bottom" 606-Core Kit, 707-Core, 808-Core Kit, 909-Core Kit, etc....They appear starting in the 1st Octave of the Kybd and Match up on the Pads, and seem to be working fine. I do hear some breakup and distortion when I try Tap out live beat on the Kick, Snare, H-Hat & Open H-Hat on the Pads / Kybd with only on some of the preset drum sound patches.

Although I feel the layout of the Pads is backwards I like everything laid out "Left to Right" & "Top to Bottom".... Therefor then "C-1 would be in the upper Left Corner rather then the Lower Left corner. Unless that there is a reason unbeknown to me.

I did find that there were some patches that the drum sounds played starting up on the 3rd "C" ("C3" I guess??)When this was apparent they did not work on the Pads at all. Which I guess someone will say something about Mapping??? If so I am not familiar with Mapping yet at all...

I also find it odd that the Sustain Pedal works sometimes and then not at all.

I do understand the difference in the way that it may work when used with different sounds such as a Piano (which is a Percussive Instrument Vs. a Continuous sound Instrument like a B3 Organ or String Sounds.

Thanks
Ed