Precision playback in Piano roll?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
DreMac

Precision playback in Piano roll?

Post by DreMac » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:37 pm

Hello.

I'm looking for a shortcut for play back in the piano roll at a specific time in the clip

I know that you can click in the top bar when the cursor turns into the little speaker appears but I sometimes find it too slow as it plays in rhythm with the track.

Is there a way to click in the timeline in piano roll and start play back or do you always have to go to the top of the midi clip where the cursor turns into a speaker?

Thanks

DreMac

Re: Precision playback in Piano roll?

Post by DreMac » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:18 am

nothing?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:31 pm

There is no shortcut because, well, how would live know where to start from in which clip and under what circumstances?

Remember, clip view has no timeline so it is not possible to jump to a point in time and start playback. You can, as suggested above, click in the timeline of a clip (at the top of the piano roll) to move the playhead but that will wait for the global quantise time so as to keep things in time.

Arrangement is where you need to be if you need the ability to jump to points in time.

ohryan

Post by ohryan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:36 am

jestermgee wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:31 pm
There is no shortcut because, well, how would live know where to start from in which clip and under what circumstances?

Remember, clip view has no timeline so it is not possible to jump to a point in time and start playback. You can, as suggested above, click in the timeline of a clip (at the top of the piano roll) to move the playhead but that will wait for the global quantise time so as to keep things in time.

Arrangement is where you need to be if you need the ability to jump to points in time.
How does live know where to start from in the clip with the `alt+spacebar`? It's the same logic. I don't think we essentially need to set the playback for the project while in the clip view, the clip view does have its own isolated playback marker, that blue marker that appear when you click. When you use the `alt+spacebar` cmd, it plays from the locator. But if you use that command and then press spacebar, it starts the clip from the 0 position. Everyone I've seen talk about this problem wants a way to **set** a more permanent start locator. Why not have it so where `alt+spacebar` sets the locator then after that, everytime you press spacebar, it plays from the locator instead of the beginning. And to reset it, you press `alt+spacebar` again?

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:21 pm

With an audio clip, you can click below the waveform. MIDI, you have to use the scrub area because left-clicking starts selection. Inconsistent, but makes sense from a common live workflow perspective.

If you set the playback marker, control/command + spacebar starts from that location.