Tips for saving CPU in a large Live set

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
dotsdisconnect

Tips for saving CPU in a large Live set

Post by dotsdisconnect » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:36 am

Hey all,
Long time ableton user here (but still feel like there's so much more to learn.)

I'm playing an hour long set coming up in 2 weeks, and I'm looking for some routing tips that I can utilize so my computer runs as smoothly as possible. My setup is as follows:

Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / firewire audio interface / USB midi interface / MIDI data sent to 4 hardware devices (No MIDI sent to Ableton besides from Push)

A few things I have tried already are the Collect All and Save feature, so all my drum samples are in the same folder. I know that Freezing tracks is an option, but last time i tried this, it changed the sound quality in a way I did not like.

What's likely hitting the CPU is the 11 drum racks I have for the set. There's only maximum of 2 drum racks playing simultaneously, but each drum rack has an effects rack with a limiter, EQ, etc. (just because i copied and pasted the core drum rack for each song performed, and tailored the samples for each track. i can set this up better in the future, but i can't commit to re-arranging the live set). I tried routing the audio for each drum rack to a dedicated audio track with the intensive effects rack attached, but i didn't figure out a way to mix the volume of each individual drum rack, i could only control the volume of the dedicated audio track. I was able to route the audio of each drum rack to a send and control the volume, but i didn't like performing with this method.

My computer responds just fine, but what i'm getting is a little pop or glitch sound when i trigger a scene on my Push. just like a little digital artifact that I would not like blasted into a large venue...

I know it's a very technical question, but any help would be appreciated! thank you so much ableton world.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Tips for saving CPU in a large Live set

Post by [jur] » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:15 am

Can you give a little bit more details on your set. Vsts? Audio clips? What do you want to perform and what should be just playing back?...
Ableton Forum Moderator

dotsdisconnect

Post by dotsdisconnect » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:43 pm

[jur] wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:15 am
Can you give a little bit more details on your set. Vsts? Audio clips? What do you want to perform and what should be just playing back?...
of course. i'm sending some audio clips, predominately MIDI routed to external hardware, and the only VSTs I'm using are Drum Rack and one instance of Simpler. I'd like to be able to control the volumes of the Drum Racks and Audio clips.

Greenapples2019

Post by Greenapples2019 » Fri May 03, 2019 8:41 am

Hi, could you put the drum racks into a chain and then use dummy clips to turn the drum racks and FX on/off when needed, so your CPU is only handling the ones you're using at that time?

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat May 04, 2019 9:43 pm

Something that can sometimes help with glitches when you launch Scenes is to remove the stop buttons on tracks that don’t need them. Depending on the set, not having all the stops fire as you trigger the horizontal row can sometimes help.

Just something to try...
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud