Macro default settings questions/issues..

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
mikeyboy75

Macro default settings questions/issues..

Post by mikeyboy75 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:38 pm

I've done a load of searches and just want to be sure that what I am seeing in Ableton is correct behaviour, as it seems a bit weird to me..

If I:
- Open Operator
- Add it to an instrument rack
- Open the Macro controls panel in the rack
- Click Freq in Operator (currently at 18.5 kHz) and Map to Macro 1
- Now weirdly Macro 1 is set to 30.0 Hz - why is it not set to 18.5 kHz??
- and also if I right click Macro 1 and select 'Return to Default' (or click Delete) it sets it to 500 Hz. Why?!?! Surely it should be 30.0 Hz, or more preferably 18.5 kHz no?

I feel like I'm missing something but this way of operating is very odd. I wanted to play around with the macro controls but when I record a session set the values back to the default. This seems basic functionality to me but maybe not..

Cheers in advance!

pottering

Re: Macro default settings questions/issues..

Post by pottering » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:28 pm

Yeah, that's how Live worked for years, you can see it in some tutorials, where the instructor will tell you to remember the values before assigning to a macro.

That changed in 10.1 (you can try the beta to see).

The default is the default of the knob you assigned, if it defaults to 500 kHz in the original device, then that where the macro knob will default too.

" I wanted to play around with the macro controls but when I record a session set the values back to the default."

That's one of the things presets and Hot Swap mode are made for.
♥♥♥

mikeyboy75

Post by mikeyboy75 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:45 pm

Many thanks for the response.

Ok I'll try out 10.1 and see how it's changed.

I don't really want to save a preset every time I do this, but I can see how that can be used to do what I want.

Cheers!

pottering

Post by pottering » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:10 pm

Note that if you save a preset with the macro knob set to a value (like 18.5 kHz), it does set that value as the "default" for that saved Rack preset.
♥♥♥