Modwheel is taken over

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
BURN-ADDiCT

Modwheel is taken over

Post by BURN-ADDiCT » Tue May 07, 2019 8:39 pm

Hi.

I want to know why the "global midi mapping" seems to override the normal function of the modwheel.

This happened all the other times but normally I thought it was the VSTs doing that, this time it's happening with a built-in instrument, Wavetable.

I went to the matrix tab, assigned the modwheel to control the filter cutoff and a few other controls... when I play with it, it works as expected.
But then I needed to control something else with the modwheel, and it required the global midi mapping. After setting the global midi mapping, the controls within Wavetable are no longer responding to the modwheel. At the same time, the global controls work fine with the modwheel.

I'm not sure if you get what I'm saying but if you've faced a similar problem, please share the light.
I use a Keystation49 with Live 10.

jestermgee

Re: Modwheel is taken over

Post by jestermgee » Tue May 07, 2019 10:17 pm

If you use GLOBAL midi mapping, that will override any previous function your control had. It's a "global" function meaning it works globally and it's designed so if you have a control surface that you wish to repurpose a control for another function, you can MIDI map it and the original control surface function is now halted and the mapped function takes over.

BURN-ADDiCT

Post by BURN-ADDiCT » Tue May 07, 2019 10:22 pm

oh, I see.
Thanks for clarifying. I read it in the manual but it wasn't clear to me since they don't mention that it's not really meant for generic controllers with only one function knobs.

BURN-ADDiCT

Post by BURN-ADDiCT » Tue May 07, 2019 10:27 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:17 pm
It's a "global" function meaning it works globally and it's designed so if you have a control surface
My assumption now is that I should make global midi mappings of all the controls I use in Wavetable... I once tried it with Operator and it worked, the only problem was that some of the controls have names that make it hard to remember their purpose (especially when there's a lot of them).
I'm about to try this since this project has less than 20 mappings to the modwheel anyways.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon May 13, 2019 5:41 pm

There are a lot of different ways to assign midi controls to parameters of devices depending on the kind of device. A vst has midi learn, almost instruments have assignment from within the device, Live has midi mapping, and Control Surface (blue hand control), and on top of all this you can also often do things on different midi channels.

So it’s kinda hard to discern specific things you are and aren’t doing, things you haven’t tried, and your intended vision etc.

I think a little more detail on what you expect out of your set and your approach might help make it easier to figure out what is happening and why. And how to get ideal results.

BURN-ADDiCT

Post by BURN-ADDiCT » Mon May 13, 2019 6:39 pm

yur2die4 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:41 pm
I think a little more detail on what you expect out of your set and your approach might help make it easier to figure out what is happening and why. And how to get ideal results.
jestermgee has kind of made me realize what I'm doing wrong and what Ableton is doing.

But anyways... what I was really looking to do is to be able to record my self playing on my midi controller (and that clip recording to include the modwheel automation).

After setting a midi mapping to control a few knobs outside of the instrument rack (global mapping), I recorded into the arrangement trying to get both the midi notes and the modwheel automations (both global and rack-based automation).
What I get instead is that the recording works (as in it is recording the modwheel into an automation clip that I can copy to other midi tracks and clips), but I can't hear the modulation changes in real-time because when I set a global mapping, the modwheel disconnects from the mappings within the rack.

Sorry, I'm not really good at descriptions.

What I'm talking about though is that, I wanted a workflow that would keep the local mappings when I assign global mappings.
Like in Reason 10, I can have the modwheel control some knob on the mixer, whilst at the same time, it doesn't affect the mappings within the local instruments.

Think of it like this, you set the modwheel to control the "send amount" of the midi track, at the same time, you have Wavetable on that channel and your "Mod" mappings still continue even though the modwheel has been mapped to global controls
"working jobs we hate to pay for sh*t we don't need" - Tyler Durden