Sustain Stuck Issue Resolved

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
k_sacto

Sustain Stuck Issue Resolved

Post by k_sacto » Tue May 14, 2019 4:30 am

OK, so I successfully recorded my midi-tracks with a sustain pedal and all works nicely. I started recording audio tracks and any time I tried to set the looping so I could just record certain segments of the audio track, the sustain goes crazy on me. I stop the music - still sustains, for infinity. I try to manually stop the sustain by pressing the sustain pedal - no luck. I can't arm the midi track because I need to arm the audio track I need to record. Here is what resolved the problem for me. Make sure you are in the Arrangement view. In Windows, press SHIFT-TAB to bring up the clip view on the bottom. Click on the Show/Hide Envelopes yellow button at the bottom of the "Clip" window. In the "Envelopes" window choose "MIDI Ct", under that, choose: "64-Hold Pedal". There are two ways to choose to resolve the problem from here, either under "Region" choose "Unlinked" or with "Loop" turned on with yellow color, "Loop" will appear instead of "Region" and you can choose to "Unlink." Example:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PBSca ... nV72v4OTib

I'm wondering if this will also resolve my sustain pedal reversing polarity sometimes when I first start Ableton. My only solution up to this point is to unplug the midi keyboard and plug it back in and this makes one more thing I have to remember to check in a live situation because the problem does not present itself until I press the pedal the first time.

Xa Sancle

Re: Sustain Stuck Issue Resolved

Post by Xa Sancle » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:12 pm

Thank you a lot for this information... It really works and it was very annoying but, do you know some way to make it by default? Some Max for Live or another solution? I see one cannot select all clips and apply the same rule at the same time, at least I don't find it. 8O

Squeeb

Post by Squeeb » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:46 am

Came across exactly this issue and managed to cobble together a max patch that sends a "Sustain Off" and "All Notes Off" whenever the Live transport is stopped:

https://maxforlive.com/library/device/6 ... tthefuckup

There's other patches out there that do other clever things with the sustain pedal, but this just does exactly this one task.

Add it in before your MIDI instruments. It'll pass everything through and also issue those messages on stop.

MyKeyG

Post by MyKeyG » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:41 pm

Thank you! For that device. I would like to know why this is happening. ???!!!!

tybaglue

Post by tybaglue » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 am

Squeeb wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:46 am
Came across exactly this issue and managed to cobble together a max patch that sends a "Sustain Off" and "All Notes Off" whenever the Live transport is stopped:

https://maxforlive.com/library/device/6 ... tthefuckup

There's other patches out there that do other clever things with the sustain pedal, but this just does exactly this one task.

Add it in before your MIDI instruments. It'll pass everything through and also issue those messages on stop.
OMG thank you so much you saved me an extra few hours trying to figure this darn thing out.

jasper

Post by jasper » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:41 pm

Thanks for this.