MIDI Program Change within 1 Clip

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
bobcharest

MIDI Program Change within 1 Clip

Post by bobcharest » Tue May 14, 2019 12:35 pm

Hi,

My lighting rig is controlled by a LanBox LCM (from the Netherlands, no longer made) The lighting cuelists are triggered by receiving MIDI Program Changes. I wanted to synchronize my lighting to the music. One might also find this helpful to control outboard keyboard/module patches without having to make and manage multiple MIDI clips.

To get past the Ableton behavior of sending MIDI Program Change commands only at the beginning of the clip, I used Max4Live's CC to Program Change plug-in and edited the envelope in a dummy MIDI track. There were two YouTube videos that were very helpful in this:
1.) Ableton Live Program Change Automation by Eric Sorenson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqM4ilBSBR0&t=158s
2.) Ableton Live Tutorial: Program Change Automation with Max for Live from Lynda.com. This tutorial is from the lynda.com course Performing with Ableton Live: On Stage with St. Vincent, by author Daniel Mintseris, keyboard player and programmer for St. Vincent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nlBxKLlnYg

In his video, Eric mentions the Mintseris video. Between them I managed to get my head around this particular automation.

I'm posting this here in case it is helpful to others.

Best regards,
Bob Charest

mynameiswarren

Re: MIDI Program Change within 1 Clip

Post by mynameiswarren » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:36 pm

This is brilliant.... exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you so much!!!

bobcharest

Re: MIDI Program Change within 1 Clip

Post by bobcharest » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:39 am

mynameiswarren wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:36 pm
This is brilliant.... exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you so much!!!
You're welcome! Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I just was checking things a few days ago to see if anything has changed in this space, and found my original post and your reply.

Glad it helped. Eric Sorenson, was clear, and Daniel Mintseris was just great.

After some health issues, I'm back in the chase. :-)

Best regards,
Bob Charest