Playing a Track While Recording a New One

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
S.T.Ranger

Playing a Track While Recording a New One

Post by S.T.Ranger » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:11 am

Is it possible to play an existing track while recording a new one?

TLW

Re: Playing a Track While Recording a New One

Post by TLW » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:39 pm

If you mean "can Live do multi-track recording and let you hear what you have recorded in a project while recording another track in the same project" then yes. That's Live's default behaviour.
Live 10.1 Suite, M4L, 2014/15 MacBook Pro 15.3” Retina i7, OS Mojave 10.14.5. RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

S.T.Ranger

Post by S.T.Ranger » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:16 pm

Thanks for the reply, TLW. The problem I had was I didn't realize I was recording in midi rather than audio. Learning this program has been a little difficult so far. I was able to record a song with it and my next step is to incorporate drums. I've looked at the drums on the program and was told I can use the keyboard to play them but I haven't had much success with that so going to get a machine with drum pads that I can manually play. Again, thanks for the response.

TLW

Post by TLW » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:21 pm

Ah. OK. Sounds like you’ve solved the problem.

As it happens, I’m useless at trying to record drums using a keyboard as well. Pads can make things easier. I usually have a pair of pads next to each other set to generate snares and another couple doing the same for hi-hats. I find that makes doing faster or fancier stuff easier.

Most of the time I want more electronic sorts of drums though, and those I usually step sequence.
Live 10.1 Suite, M4L, 2014/15 MacBook Pro 15.3” Retina i7, OS Mojave 10.14.5. RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.