Control volume of an external synth

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Dirk C

Control volume of an external synth

Post by Dirk C » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:22 pm

I use Live! and I've connected a Roland JV-2080 to it using a midi cable via the Scarlett Focusrite sound card. Within Live! I've defined "External instruments". Also on each track I've specified the midi-channel that I use in the JV-2080.
There is an amp connected directly at the JV-2080 not at the Scarlett! I do that because I have a powerful amp and it is fun to play/record like that.

My workflow is that I play the hard synth parts the way I've just described, then I will record them as audio (using audio cable connected to the Scarlett) and add others tracks using VST's within Live!.

Everything is cool and I can record multiple tracks using the JV-2080 as a multitimbral sound module.

But to keep things in balance, I want to be able to set the volumes of each track. The "normal" volume-outs in LIve! don't work, because the audio is sent directly from the JV-2080 to an amp and not in Live!.

I've discovered that other midi-parameters like expression, pitch bend etc. are well recognised, so I wonder now if there is an easy way to set the volumes of the tracks while recording?

pottering

Re: Control volume of an external synth

Post by pottering » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:27 pm

To control gain you need 2 tracks, one track that will receive the audio (and you can use its fader to control the gain) routed into a 2nd track where you will record.

Maybe try using simply the Velocity device with the MIDI being sent.
♥♥♥

TLW

Post by TLW » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:14 am

It might well be possible to control the volume of the synth by using MIDI CCs. You’ll need to check the synth manual because they do vary, but volume is most often either CC7 or CC11.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

Dirk C

Post by Dirk C » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:57 pm

I've found an easy way to set the volume of each track: Click on the MIDI-track and set the "Expansion (11)" parameter on the desired level. So I can make a rough mix before recording each track as an audio track and finish the project.

Thanks for the 2 answers anyway!