Metronome sync problem

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Shabat

Metronome sync problem

Post by Shabat » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:27 pm

Hi everyone!

Just bought new Focusrite and got a problem with metronome sync in Ableton Live 10.1.
While playing guitar with metronome - everything is ok. But when I listen the result - the track is not in sync with the metronome.
Can you give any advice how to solve that?

Thanks a lot!

pottering

Re: Metronome sync problem

Post by pottering » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:28 pm

♥♥♥

Shabat

Post by Shabat » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:15 am

pottering wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:28 pm
Maybe check your latency and delay compensation settings.

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/worki ... mpensation

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... toring-FAQ
Seems, that delay compensation settings refer to external interface latency.
But there is no latency when I play with Ableton metronome. The problem occurs only when I listen the record. It looks like a program shift of the recorded track. If I move the track - it will match the metronome, but it doesn't match right after the record.

Tried your advice - didn't help.
Thank!

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:02 pm

No, the problem IS latency. You hear the metronome and play...I'll guess you are using direct monitoring..but by the time the signal gets into Live it's late. That's latency.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:01 am

There is always an amount of latency between when you play your instrument, when the computer receives and processes the data, and when it spits it back out.

If you monitor specifically from Live as you play, you’ll experience a degree of latency depending on various settings and processor capabilities.

If you do ‘zero latency monitoring’, usually controlled by a knob that mixes between direct signal from your instrument and audio from your computer, you’ll hear basically none of the latency for your guitar playing and you’ll hear that mixed with Only the ‘output’ audio of the computer, which in itself is slightly delayed because it is a mathematically calculated process spit out from your computer. But you hear it in real time and play in time with what you Hear.

So Live records you playing along to what you Hear. Which for you is real-time, but is slightly delayed from the computation. And on top of that your computer records you playing that, which involves more milliseconds as the audio is processed and sent to the computer and stored to a drive.

So there will be a delay. But there is also a setting in Preferences designed for this situation, only really ideal for recording where you are not monitoring ‘through’ the software, which compensated for that delay and automatically offsets your audio clip recordings such that they are put back into proper timing as you experienced it while recording.