Routing left and right channels to separate balanced outputs

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
nilscreates

Routing left and right channels to separate balanced outputs

Post by nilscreates » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:49 am

Hi folks

now here's (possibly) a noob question from someone who is just learning the ropes with Ableton 10... i feel like i might be missing something entirely obvious but can't seem to find anything in the forums or knowledge base. Believe me, I have tried! But I apologise in advance if this a double up :roll:

Ok, here goes:
  • i am running Ableton 10 through a novation 2x4 audio interface
    the interface has 2 RCA (stereo) and 2 balanced mono outputs (1/4" jacks)
  • i want to send my master mix from Ableton into my external mixer using these balanced outputs through 2x TRS cables (instead of RCA) as this is supposed to be a better signal especially with longer cables (is that correct..?)
  • i have activated the two mono output channels in the audio config
  • BUT: in the Master Out dropdown i can only seem to select ONE of these channels, which means the stereo gets converted to mono (which i don't want)
  • The RCA out shows as a pair in the dropdown and works a charm. But I am afraid it might screw up in a stage environment with distances to cover and lots of other equipment around the place
Is there a way i can select both my balanced outputs and assign one to left and the other to right? How do i make use of the balanced outputs without losing my stereo signal??

Thanks guys, really appreciate your help!

N

chrk

Re: Routing left and right channels to separate balanced outputs

Post by chrk » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:12 am

nilscreates wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:49 am
i have activated the two mono output channels in the audio config
BUT: in the Master Out dropdown i can only seem to select ONE of these channels, which means the stereo gets converted to mono
Read these two sentences very very carefully.

OF COURSE you can only select either or of the mono channels.

In Live's audio preferences add them as a stereo output as well.