Best method for saving takes you might want later

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
jonljacobi

Best method for saving takes you might want later

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:58 pm

As of now, I take guitar and bass tracks, generally ones that have good ideas but don't cut it overall, and put them on another track. In some cases, I'll "archive" to another folder or some such. And sometimes I'll just move them on the same track beyond the portion of the timeline containing the sonf. Any ideas for another method that might be more efficient, or friendly?

I've considered saving them as clips. Any thoughts on that?

mountwest

Re: Best method for saving takes you might want later

Post by mountwest » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:21 pm

I usually create a new track when I need room for saving takes. Grouping the tracks with "inactive" clips helps to keep the clutter to a minimum.

I've also experimented with saving takes in Session View. Basically, just click and hold the clips when you tab away from arrangement view and place them there.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:26 pm

Thanks! After realizing I can create folders in the clips section, I find that a lot less cluttered. I'm startled I never thought of it before.

mountwest

Post by mountwest » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:54 pm

jonljacobi wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:26 pm
Thanks! After realizing I can create folders in the clips section, I find that a lot less cluttered. I'm startled I never thought of it before.
Also, remember to leave a comment in this wish thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=228042&start=60

Having a comp function in Ableton would greatly improve working with takes.