Guitar Recording Effects

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
Fab65

Guitar Recording Effects

Post by Fab65 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:03 pm

Hi there,
was wondering if anyone more experienced than me could help me understand how to obtain (that is, which effects/amps/racks should I use) from my Fender Strato plugged in to Live 10 (through a Behringer FCA1616 interface) a sound similar to the one in "A good flying bird" from Guided By Voices (here's a link to the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhhZC0HZW44)

Thanks in advance for any help! :D
Fabiano

TLW

Re: Guitar Recording Effects

Post by TLW » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:12 pm

This is a guess, but from the sound it might have been recorded straight to the mixing desk while using a distortion pedal of some sort. Possibly a Boss DS1 or similar bright toned pedal. Not even sure if the guitar is a Strat, but without being filtered by an amp and speakers electric guitars can be difficult to identify.

The sound is completely different from any live footage I can find of the song on youtube - live it's Marshall amps which sound much smoother, but as I say, it sounds very, very different to the version in your link.
Live 10.1 Suite, M4L, 2014/15 MacBook Pro 15.3” Retina i7, OS Mojave 10.14.5. RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.