Transposition and Mapping Issues With Ableton 10 and Arturia Keylab 61

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
mottman

Transposition and Mapping Issues With Ableton 10 and Arturia Keylab 61

Post by mottman » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:25 pm

Hello - I am having a problem whereby in Ableton 10 Lite, using my Arturia Keylab Essential 61 controller, not all the notes on the controller will play my selected sound. It's not the controller hardware such as a stuck key, as it will play all notes of a given sound using the Arturia Analog Lab software. This only happens in Ableton.

I think it has something to do with transposition or midi mapping, but I just don't know how to fix it.
The midi mapping between Ableton and the controller is supposed to be automatic...

For example:
I can load a sound and it plays from the lowest C on my controller, up to the A, then it skips B and C, then it picks up again at D, then it is good for 2 octaves, then the A is clearing the sound from the midi track, and some random keys further up are doing things like triggering the metronome.

I have tried hitting the transposition button on the controller, for example transposing down one octave, and this fixes the problem with the lower B and C not playing, but shifts the problem further up the range.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you - Tom

AtlasEntity

Re: Transposition and Mapping Issues With Ableton 10 and Arturia Keylab 61

Post by AtlasEntity » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:42 am

I'm having this exact issue with the Minilab Mk2... have you found a solution?

mrforged

Post by mrforged » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:48 pm

Typically, if a key stops working it is because you have assigned the key as a MIDI mapping to something else in Ableton. Check your MIDI mapping table and make sure those keys are not assigned to control something.

taoski

Post by taoski » Sat May 09, 2020 6:14 pm

The mapping table isn't this answer. I'm having this same problem with my MKII-61. I've done a lot of trouble shooting and nothing seems to work. The obvious first step-- I 've check my MIDI assignment table and it's empty. I've tried a factory reset on the keylab, and no help. I've played around with MIDI ports, using a direct USB link and routing through my interface (Presonus Studio 24), no difference.

I'm thinking there might be an error with Live's control surface mapping. One more test... YES I think this is it. I've loaded up the control surfaces for a couple of other controllers, including other brands, and all the keys work.

The results are: Setting your control surface to KeyLab Essential or KeyLab MKII causes this error. A workaround seems to be setting it to KeyLab, although I'm not sure how this will effect the rest of the controls. VERY frustrating.

Does anyone know how to report a potential error to Ableton?

jtdoherty

Post by jtdoherty » Tue May 26, 2020 11:06 pm

I’m having the exact same problem

Please Ableton fix it!

J

Daniel Stob

Post by Daniel Stob » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:29 pm

Same problem here!!!!

SvenDia

Post by SvenDia » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:52 am

Also having this exact same issue. Any solution yet?

samomac

Post by samomac » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:40 am

I am having the same issue. Just got the Keylab 61 MKII.

As noted in a post above, changing the control surface to just "Keylab" allows you to play all the keys.
I haven't gotten far enough to know if it affects any of the other keyboard functions.

Samuel Go Public

Post by Samuel Go Public » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:11 pm

I also have the exactly same problem with my Ableton. My Keylab 61 MK2 on tuts B mapped to switch track window. How to fix it?

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:10 pm

Make sure you are not selecting "All" as MIDI input on your tracks.

Select only the MIDI port for the Keylab's keyboard as the input and not the second port used for DAW control. See if that helps.

samomac

Post by samomac » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:06 am

I have changed the preferences to NOT have a control surface but under Input I use Keylab mkII(DAW). It allows full use of the keyboard when selecting (1) MIDI from: Ch.1 and drum pads when using (2) MIDI from: Ch. 10. but the pre-mapped DAW commands do not work at all that way. If you choose the Control Surface: Keylab MKII The pre-mapped DAW COMMANDS work but you cannot use the pads for drums. Also when you load the 808 Core kit, for example, the pads are automatically mapped in reverse order from top to bottom. The USER function on the other hand has the pads matching the correct configuration for the displayed names on the 808 Core kit. This is making using Ableton with this Keyboard a huge pain. The updates have not helped with any configuration. I'm using a MacBook Pro with the latest update.

totte_karlsson

Post by totte_karlsson » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:02 am

Same problem here.. :( * 10

Mav41

Post by Mav41 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:02 pm

I have the same issue :(

Mav41

Post by Mav41 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:06 am

Hi,

It is samomac who found the solution ! And as him, the pads don't work, but the piano work well !

In fact, the Arturia Keylab need to be set on DAW mod ... By default, the DAW mod is in MCU (universal mod).
Then, if you hold the DAW button, it will start to blink. And here is the solution: You can access compatible mod with Ableton Live by turning the big button to select "Live" wich is "Ebelton Live". Theire is also Cubase, Fruity Loops, etc ...
When this mod is set on, Ableton work well with the Keylab MKII. All the piano keys are ok and you can play piano with no mutted key: D.

So to make it clear :
1) Select the DAW mod by pushing the putton "DAW" below the large rotating button in the middle of the controler (and not the Analog Lab button, wich control the software Analog Lab only :wink: )
2) Then, hold the DAW button to enter in selection mod, it will start to blink
3) Cicle through the options with the large turnable button to the moment you fall on "Live" (wich is Ableton Live)
4) Click on the large turnable button to set the mod on
5) Now, your Arturia Keylab will manage nicely all the pianos in Ableton Live 10 (but not the pads :( )

Thank you SAMOMAC :D

So. The only thing that i didn't manage to use are the pads (for drums) ... As Samomac said. No way to mak it work. And no pre-programmed setting (it would be nice...).
Maybe, it need to be set with the software "Midi Control Center" (that is selled with the Arturia Keylab) ? But i didn't find how to make it work.
If anyone have an idea about the pads, i take it :) But now my "piano" part work well with Albelton.

Hope that will help. :wink: But i think i will search for an other software waiting that Ableton is updated. It is an horror to make a simple musique and have a confortable workflow with the pads that don't fonction easly and are not pre-programmed simply.
I think we need some pre-programmed blue-print (that can be modified by the user, but wich give us a good flow that permit to "play" when we want to creat music, we want to play, and not program music ;) )...

Efemer

Post by Efemer » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:28 pm

Same issue here