Playing Live: Mixing Midi Tracks Into Each Other In A Live Environment

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
Denis Symonds

Playing Live: Mixing Midi Tracks Into Each Other In A Live Environment

Post by Denis Symonds » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:03 am

Hello everyone

I need some advice/help on the following issue please:

(Firstly an overview of how my band uses Ableton in a live / gig environment)

AIFF’s of our songs/tracks are loaded on audio panels top to bottom in performance mode.

90% of our songs have midi loaded on adjacent mid channels corresponding to a particular track.

The track and midi must be launched at the same time, which we do via the extreme right panel (scenes) that also hold the launch tempo info.

Our problem is smoothly transitioning from track to track during our set. As we are electronic/dance, we want to be able to mix our tracks together better.

I.e. We want to be able to mix the songs/tracks into each other – when one song is finishing we want to be able to mix a new song into it / over the top of it.

If we launch via scene near the end of one track, it will abruptly cut off that track, then start the next new track with its corresponding midi.

This means we cannot mix our songs together and cannot make a very smooth transition.

This is something that we very much would like to do.

Is anyone able to help us with this? Or at least provided some advice/feedback around this issue?

And/or any other performers with a similar query/problem?

I hope i explained the issue we are experiencing sufficiently, and if anyone requires further clarification please let me know.

Much thanks in advance.

Greenapples2019

Re: Playing Live: Mixing Midi Tracks Into Each Other In A Live Environment

Post by Greenapples2019 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:35 pm

Could you have two separate tracks for the AIFFs, so song 1 is on track 1 and song 2 on track 2? Then put the file for song 2 on the scene below song 1 and remove the stop in that scene from song 1. That way when song 1 Is playing and you launch the next scene song 2 will play alongside it. Does that make sense?