Issue when playing Live whit BIAS FX 2

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
pablomelguera

Issue when playing Live whit BIAS FX 2

Post by pablomelguera » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:27 pm

Hey. Thanks for your time to read this.

I'm using Live 10 with BIAS FX 2 plugin (it's a guitar amp and pedal simulator) in my shows. I usually have 3 or 4 channels with guitars with the plug in on it. The problem is that, sometimes, the plug in doesn't work. When i start playing the song, the guitar "goes" through the plug in, but the sound is not modified.

The only way to make it work, is to delete the plug in in the track and then open it again. This usually works, but sometimes i have to reset Live completly in orther to work correctly.

Does anybody had the same issue? I'm quite desperate because, as i said, i use this on live situations and it's quite embracing to spend too much time fixing things on stage.

Thanks very much and happy music to everyone!

jestermgee

Re: Issue when playing Live whit BIAS FX 2

Post by jestermgee » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:13 pm

Computer specs?
Live version?
Audio interface?
Etc.....

pablomelguera

Post by pablomelguera » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:23 pm

I have a Dell 5500, i7 8660u, 12gb ram, solid state.
live 10
focusrite 2i4.

I don't have any trouble with the pc, the software or the interface beside this one.

Thanks

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:49 pm

pablomelguera wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:23 pm

I don't have any trouble with the pc, the software or the interface beside this one.
I am sure you don't, but that's not the focus. Others need to know what you are working with to be able to help. Hard to help when you have no idea of the equipment being used.

I have no answers, only suggestions to test.

Can you get this issue to happen under controlled cases at home? I have never heard of this issue occurring but if you can make it happen, it should be easy to test the issue.

For instance, is your BiasFX fully registered? It's not some kind of limitation from a Trial version or something?

How long does it take to occur or is there any kind of method to the failure? Does it ever not work when you first load live or after a certain time or when you switch instances?

How do you have things setup? Do you just have multiple tracks and just rec-enable a track to get the effects through it?

If you use a different plugin for instance (such as a Live plugin) does the same thing happen (in other words, is it only BiasFX)?

Have you written to the devs of the plugin?

The lack of replies suggests this is not common and personally I have never had this kind of thing happen in Live but sometimes plugins can do some strange things and i'd be looking more at the plugin than Live.

mikefeeney

Post by mikefeeney » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:20 am

I actually have this problem frequently with biasfx2 too. Not sure what the issue is, did the OP ever find a solution?

sakarias

Post by sakarias » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:11 pm

I'm also wondering. Happens for me pretty much all the time.

xlrashn35

Post by xlrashn35 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:58 pm

Happening with me also

Live 10 Suite
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.9 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Clarett 2PreUSB

Have to delete Bias Fx2 (I have the pro version) from the track and it will work for a couple days then out again. I have noticed it mostly when I restart Ableton and load a recent project that has bias fx2 on it, the effect is completely silent..

I am also noticing high cpu usage. I have tried to simplify with just a gate, 1 effect pedal and the amp to see if maybe some of these rig setups have too many effects, but that didn't help either

xlrashn35

Post by xlrashn35 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:05 pm

From Positive Grid

Solution to Crackling/Popping Noise
Updated : Tuesday at 10:57

1. The crackling noise is due to insufficient CPU usage.

2. CPU will overload more easily on certain presets with more effects and/or dual amp setting.

3. Lower Buffer Size and/or higher Sample Rate setting will also cause higher CPU load.

4. Having other applications running will eat up the CPU usage as well, resulting higher CPU usage.

So when encountering the crackling noise, we recommend you look into the following:

1. Go to Audio Setting (of BIAS FX 2 or your DAW), set the Sample Rate to 48k or lower, set the Buffer Size to 256 or higher.

2. Avoid opening other applications at the same time, and turn off unnecessary applications running in the background.

3. For Windows users, we recommend you follow the guide below to optimize the system for better CPU performance for audio production work:

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... Windows-10

4. Avoid using multiple instances of BIAS FX 2 plugins as it multiplies the CPU usage and can lead to CPU limit quite easily. A common practice would be export the tracks with BIAS FX 2 to WAV files and reimport them into the session. This way you have the audio files without having to run multiple plugins in order to save CPU usage.

*For Windows users having the crackling/popping noise issue in BIAS FX/Amp/Pedal standalone,

(1) Please make sure you've tried both 32bit & 64bit versions.

(2) Please check if the audio driver for your audio interface is up to date

(3) Please try another driver like ASIO4ALL

slow.robot

Post by slow.robot » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:15 am

definitely not an Ableton-specific problem—it’s got to be due to something going on in the plugin itself...it’s a bug that I encountered in Reason with Bias Fx (1), and when I upgraded to Bias Fx 2, it actually got much worse—I refuse to use it anymore. funny, I just bought Ableton today and thought I might fire up Bias inside to see if it works in Ableton, but I guess not. 🤦🏻‍♂️

my first post here, and it’s a response to a plugin bug—hopefully not a sign of what’s to come. 😆

FakeCrusader

Post by FakeCrusader » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:58 pm

Bias FX 2 is probably the worst plugin I have ever used in Live.
It works fine in standalone, although that being said it is a retrograded version; one of the upgrades totally ruined the sound, everything was distorted. I do not trust this product to update it again.

I have found the following problems in Live on WIn 10:
* Same issue as stated here, the plugin is active but no audio processing occurs.
* Live becomes very unstable after a few minutes of use, CPU usage goes mad regardless of the patch in use. Usually resulting in a crash and restart.
* Because of the previous issue, multiple instances are not a good idea.
* Tried passing channels through a send & return bus with Bias FX on it to limit it ti a single instance. It doesn't work on the bus, yet if if put GR5 on it it works perfectly.

I have a lot of NI plugins, plus OmniSphere and Captain. None of them cause anything like these issues with Live. The reply that PG give about CPU usage is completely missing the point that their plugin is a badly implemented resource hog. I can run several instances of Omnisphere and get the same CPU usage as a track with Bias FX that isn't even playing!

I also run all of the above on a Mac and the problem doesn't seem to be replicated there, so it looks like someone needs to brush up on their Windows tuning skills.

Bottom line: great sounds, looks pretty, doesn't play with others well.

slow.robot

Post by slow.robot » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:45 pm

funny you mention Guitar Rig—my disdain for Bias Fx2 is why I jumped on GR6 when it came out. it’s not perfect in Reason, but better than Bias ever was, and it works really well in Ableton. I’m glad I switched. sounds just as good, or better, with none of the headache. the only (very minor) thing I miss is the community patch sharing. something like that built into GR would be amazing.