Ableton sets initial value to 0 when recording midi CC

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
mwicat

Ableton sets initial value to 0 when recording midi CC

Post by mwicat » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:50 am

Hi,

I have the following problem with my set up on Ableton Live 10.1.3 on MacOS. I connect Korg Minilogue XD synth via USB and enable midi track in+out. I enable automation and start recording midi clip in session view. Notes are recorded in the clip and everything is fine. Then I start to modify some parameter e.g. filter cutoff on minilogue. Minilogue sends midi cc with parameter change events to ableton. Changes are recorded and replayed back as expected when clip finishes recording and is triggered. What is not expected is that when parameter change happens in time t1, e.g. midi cc value = 63 at 00:00:04 then ableton sets midi cc value = 0 at the beginning of the clip. In other words it assumes that before it received the first parameter change event, the parameter value was 0. This is unfortunate since each recorded clip sets filter cutoff on minilogue to zero at the beginning until the first recorded cutoff change happened and since cutoff is zero, no sound is produced. The better way would be to assume that if parameter is set to value=63 at 00:00:04 then it was value=63 from the beginning.

current behaviour:
expected behaviour:

Possible fixes:
1. Fix it manually - not viable, since it's live situation
2. Convert cc parameter to live parameter with something like ControlChange8 - semi ok, but requires to anticipate every changed parameter beforehand
3. Filter out parameter value=0 event with max for live before it reaches minilogue - requires m4l and some hacking

Since it looks like quite standard live situation, is there a better solution for the problem?

chapelier fou

Re: Ableton sets initial value to 0 when recording midi CC

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:54 am

I’ve got no solution to provide but I’m watching this topic with interest.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
iMac 27" Retina i5 3,2 GHz OS 10.11.3 L10.0.1 M4L.

aking7

Post by aking7 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:33 am

I would also like a solution to this! It has caused me many headaches.

TLW

Post by TLW » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:43 pm

Draw in a CC envelope that has the CC setting you want at the start of the clip. Then overdub record changes.

A CC being assumed to be zero until a human alters it is a good thing. Any alternative would cause a lot of problems and/or work to sort out. Far more than spending a few seconds setting an envelope to a particular value at the start fo a clip.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

M4rtijn

Post by M4rtijn » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:48 am

To make working with all the controls of the Minilogue XD much easier, I developed a Max4Live device called MiniloCC XD. It allows you to send and receive CC to/from the Minilogue XD, and also has support for the Push 2 controller. You can get it at https://gumroad.com/l/NLDQC .