Can you change audio routing on the fly?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Loopscious

Can you change audio routing on the fly?

Post by Loopscious » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:20 pm

Hi everyone!

Anyone know how to do this:

Is there any way to change the routing of a track into another track on the fly?

Here's the use case:
I'm using Ableton as an effects box for a hardware setup. I want to send each bit of hardware into Ableton on it's own track, have the signal be dry until I hit a button, then have that track routed to another track that might be my master delay, beat slicing, or other VSTs.

I am trying to use Ableton to do something that can be done on the Octatrack. In the OT you can go to settings > personalize > mute Master when routing to Cue outputs. This let's me kill the master (unaffected) signal and route the entire signal to cue which then goes into an effects chain and then back into the OT as an input.

Anybody know how to do this?

Here's where I'm heading, but still can't get to work:

- Make an audio track for incoming signal
- put an audio effects rack on it, create 2 chains, one Dry and one Wet, setup a Macro knob to switch
- on the Wet I want to put a device that will send signal to a Send, and then a utility after that device that kills all the gain
--- thinking this might kill the master and push the audio to a bus that I can then use for the effect

Is there any device or mechanism that would let you do this?

Thank you!

Best,

Manish
Live 10 suite (just transitioning over from 9), mix of hardware and software

Loopscious

Re: Can you change audio routing on the fly?

Post by Loopscious » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:05 pm

I figured out a solution:

https://gumroad.com/valiumdupeuple

It's a max for live device that lets you route anywhere. So I setup a chain selector that lets me get the signal where I want to send it.

Any other tips or ideas are welcome, though!

Maybe I'll try to build my own M4L device as well...
Live 10 suite (just transitioning over from 9), mix of hardware and software