Layering AUDIO recording with multiple takes

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Sintek

Layering AUDIO recording with multiple takes

Post by Sintek » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:25 pm

Hello there, I'm asking if there's a more confidwnt way to have multiple takes on the same audio track that, instead of overwrite the precedent one (or add like overdub does for midi), will be LAYERED as another take: I know I can use loop in arrangement or clips in session to have multiple takes and then export/choose the one I need BUT, if I stop the record then re-record again in the same position it overwrites the previous one... Kind of annoying when live recording a band where looping is not the best way and create new channels isn't too...
The method i use by now is: record the first take then press stop, so stretch the take duration and then re-record another take so, when it seems to overwrite the existing one I still have some space, the extended border of the previous take, to restore that one... But, you know, this is not so comfortable. Thanks!!!

Sintek

Re: Layering AUDIO recording with multiple takes

Post by Sintek » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:42 pm

UP!!

Sintek

Post by Sintek » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:36 pm

UP?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:14 am

YOu may get more views posting in the Music/Production forum. This is for posting your own tips and tricks, not really for asking about solutions.

What you are asking for is Vocal Comping which is something much better designed in other DAWs. Live does not have this as a feature but it has been highly requested for years.

The workaround in most cases to create takes would be to first create a group track and place all your required effects on the group then create "take lanes" as audio tracks within the group and every new take you need, just add another lane. It works well enough and allows easy switching between takes and even the ability to chop and take takes, then you can just consolidate the final mix to a new lane. Would be cumbersome with a lot of vocals and chorus bits tho.

Sintek

Post by Sintek » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:22 am

Oh, okay... Anyway, thank you so much for your answer!!! :D

Sintek

Post by Sintek » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:25 am

So, without have multiple takes in different tracks my method to drag a little portion of the clip to resume it if needed could be considered as a "tip&trick", right? Wrong forum, but not so much Ahahahah

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:34 pm

There's no straightforward way to do it. You either need to record your takes in Session, move your take somewhere else before recording a new one, or record or on different tracks.
Ableton Forum Moderator