Disable Snap to grid

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Wolzzi

Disable Snap to grid

Post by Wolzzi » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:52 am

I was using Ableton on windows and now switched to Mac. I was able to disable snap to grid while holding alt and left click to select between grids but I am not able to do that on Mac by holding CMD and left-click. It is driving me insane and totally messed up my workflow. Can someone help me out how to temporarily disable snap to grid(cmd 4 is just too far stretched) on Mac?

pottering

Re: Disable Snap to grid

Post by pottering » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:00 am

It is Alt on Windows:

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/live- ... nd-drawing

[edit: Oops misread. But CMD should work.]
♥♥♥

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:15 am

Ableton uses the following Mac keys for Windows:

WINDOWS - MAC

Ctrl > Command
Alt > Option (alt)

So for using free move (to disable grid) it should be hold the Option key, not Command

zcboorman

Re: Disable Snap to grid doesn't work right on mac

Post by zcboorman » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:40 am

this is such a wierd problem I have too that I discovered after I recently switched to mac. It actually disables the grid on Windows when you press CTRL but on mac when you press CMD it only half disables it. Only letting you move off the grid after you start dragging something. This means that half the selection can't be made off the grid unless you toggle the grid off with CMD 4. You can't start playback off the grid either. The shortcuts should be the same, it works right on windows!

lbadeo

Post by lbadeo » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:34 pm

Interesting difference, not sure why that is the case. (I'm a mac user)

So just to clarify, on PC, as soon as you hold Control the whole grid turns off?

Holding CMD is made for nudging notes and temporary off grid functions. If you do want to highlight a region with BOTH ends off grid without clicking CMD+4, what you can do is this:
Make a selection holding CMD then release your click > Then hold Shift + CMD and click closer to the ON grid side of the selection then drag off grid.

You'll notice that when you're holding shift it will snap to the nearest side of the highlighted region and if holding CMD at the same time it will become off grid.

... this is all well and good but at this point it may have also been easier to just click CMD 4, I mean we're already hitting the CMD button and the 4 isn't that far away

Hope this helps :)

PriceyAF

Post by PriceyAF » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:47 am

Try cmd + Right click. Afterwards you will have to click anywhere on the screen to exit the dropdown menu but, it will select your off-grid marker!
Wolzzi wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:52 am
I was using Ableton on windows and now switched to Mac.
Literally same story with me! Was driving me nuts. That was a huge part of my workflow on Windows. Seems like there is a bug in the mac version. Sucks but, I just discovered the right-click workaround minutes after reading this thread.