Extending clip doesn't extend automation?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
gigamonkey

Extending clip doesn't extend automation?

Post by gigamonkey » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:04 am

I created a MIDI clip in Session view and edited some automation in the clip. If I then record from Session to Arrangement everything works as I expect: the MIDI and the automation are recorded into the clip in Arrangement view. But if I then want to extend the clip in Arrangement and drag the end it fills out the new part of the clip with the looped MIDI but not the automation. I expected the automation to come along for the ride.

If I copy and paste in Arrangement it copies both as I would expect.

Is there a setting I'm missing to enable dragging the end of the clip to also duplicate the loop's automation? Or am I thinking about this wrong to expect the automation to be duplicated?

jestermgee

Re: Extending clip doesn't extend automation?

Post by jestermgee » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:42 pm

I think it depends if it is clip automation (such as MIDI) or if it is track automation (such as VST host automation).

Once you carry a clip to arrangement the track automation will become separated from the clip and placed into the tracks automation lane. This allows you more flexibility to allow an extended clip to contain automation over a time scale rather than locked to the clips region so if you want to duplicate the automation you need to duplicate the clip region and not extend the clip or extend the clip then duplicate the envelope.

Pretty sure from memory that's how it works