changing playback position when editing clips

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
buwatcha

changing playback position when editing clips

Post by buwatcha » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:02 pm

Hi all - I'm a new live 4 user and tried a search for this topic and have read the manual but to no avail.

Anyhow, when I edit the content of a clip in session view, e.g. drawing midi notes, and I want to quickly audition what I just did without listening to the whole clip I move the start marker right to that point in the clip view. This works fine enough if I have the track in solo, but if I want to hear the new part in context with the rest of the tracks they are all out of sync because changing the start marker only affects that one clip I'm working on. Everything else is playing from their original starting points.

Is there a better way to edit clip content and move the playback (so that the whole scene stays in sync)?

Thanks.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:01 pm

move the (transport/bar-) counter at the top. you can click and drag down with the mouse and the playback will jump back back.

buwatcha

Post by buwatcha » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:38 pm

thanks Pepe. But, is this really the only way?

Why on earth can't you just click in the clip view and use the transport commands as in the arrangement view?

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:11 am

Why on earth can't you just click in the clip view and use the transport commands as in the arrangement view?
you kind of answered your own question. this is what arrangement view is for. session view is for improvised mixing and matching of clips basically. you could make a copy of the scene where each of the clips has only that bit you're working on looped to get around it i guess, but you'd have to set up each clip with the right loop individually.
best bet would be to record the lot into arrangement view, loop the bit you want to tinker with using the transport looping and when you're done drag and drop that clip back into the scene in the session view.
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...