Tempo Mapping

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
DrEntropy

Tempo Mapping

Post by DrEntropy » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:22 pm

You probably know that if you are in arrangement view, you can select a track as "Leader" and the tempo of the whole song will now follow that track's tempo (assuming it was warped correctly), including the tempo variations. This is very useful, for example if you have a live recording you want to keep 'natural' sounding while you add more elements to it. However, if you open up the master track and look at the tempo automation, you can see that live is just using tempo automation to accomplish these variations. The automation is greyed out and you can't change it (yet!) directly. (However, if you drag warp markers around in the leader clip you can see the tempo automation change)

Now here is the tip: You can capture this automation by right clicking on the control bar's tempo field and selecting the oddly named "Unfollow Tempo Automation" command. The leader track will return to follower status, but the tempo automation will remain! It is now just normal tempo automation that you can tweak as you will. (For example, perhaps some parts of the song you wish to play more 'straight' then recorded while others you want to allow variations. )

This is documented in the Manual at 9.2.1, but I had never noticed it before and I was not sure what it did until I messed around with it!

tourist

Re: Tempo Mapping

Post by tourist » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:26 pm

thank you

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:04 am

This is a marvelous tip !!!
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
iMac 27" Retina i5 3,2 GHz OS 10.11.3 L10.0.1 M4L.

cheakypawl

Post by cheakypawl » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:37 am

VERY interesting.
Thanks for posting.
this could be might useful, at a micro level, for grooves, no?
OSX 10.13.6, MacBook Pro (15" Mid 2015), Live 9 (I don't like 10).