Keeping it light, clean and organized

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
swett

Keeping it light, clean and organized

Post by swett » Sun May 03, 2020 3:48 am

Yo!
My Mac is running a little tight on space.
What’s the best approach to keep projects as light as possible. I record many vocal parts and many get chopped and only some parts are really used. Is the ‘manage files‘ along with collect files the best way to go about it?
B

swett

Re: Keeping it light, clean and organized

Post by swett » Wed May 13, 2020 5:56 pm

I got no love from this post.
Still looking for solutions for clearing and lightening my projects folder without messing things up too much. It's not that easy keeping track of all audio files which can come from different places and end up in different locations.
so if anyone wants to pitch in....

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed May 13, 2020 8:34 pm

Yes, manage files is usually how I clean up projects of unused audio files.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Thu May 14, 2020 8:55 pm

You know, I learned a trick today which is kinda related.

I had a bunch of Arturia plugs on my hard drive which were taking up too much room. There was no option to move the default folder to another folder or drive, which was a bummer.

I found a post on Gearslutz that spoke about symbolic folders. Essentially, I manually copied all the Arturia files from my computer to a new folder on my external SSD. I then deleted the contents of the arturia folder on my computer. Using the instructions here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... 7-a-4.html

Using a shortcut, there is still an Arturia folder on my computer, it just links to the new folder on my external drive. I never knew this was a thing. Saved me 20gb or so! Might be useful for you if you need to move some libraries.