LFEnvelope for complex device envelope

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Mikel C

LFEnvelope for complex device envelope

Post by Mikel C » Sun May 17, 2020 2:40 am

Hi,
I want to have something similar to a clip envelope but triggered with each midi note of an instrument. Something like the envelope mode of serum's lfo's.
I guess is something feasible but I cannot find how.
Is there a similar function or an easy way to simulate it?
Thanks a lot :D

pottering

Re: LFEnvelope for complex device envelope

Post by pottering » Sun May 17, 2020 7:21 am

With Suite/M4L there is the Envelope device.

Without M4L, the only way you can kinda hack/fake it is by assigning the whole keyboard range (needs some external MIDI controller, click the Clip in MIDI Map Mode, then press one key and hold, then press another key to set the range) to a MIDI Clip in Session View (Quantization set to None, Loop disabled, Launch Mode Trigger) with a single note (the note same as the lowest in the range you assign), then play that Clip chromatically with its automation/modulation/MIDI CC envelopes (the envelopes can be unlinked and have their own settings separate from the MIDI notes, they can be shorter or longer, and loop).

Both are monophonic.

(Obs: Doesn't really need to be a single note, can be an arpeggio or whatever. )

May be easier to just resample the sound and drop it in Simpler,Sampler or Wavetable (or the VST itself, if it loads samples).

EDIT: Sustain is possible with Loop Start after the note start and Loop End before note end (Clip start marker still before note start), Loop enabled and Launch Mode set to Gate.
♥♥♥

Mikel C

Post by Mikel C » Mon May 18, 2020 12:35 pm

Thanks! That's a clever solution.

And is there a way of making complex curves beyond adsr in M4L Envelope?

I was thinking of making that complex curve in LFO and then use envelope to keep LFO working just for the cycle I need.

What I am trying to achieve is a sustain note that after some miliseconds, not at the begining, has two spikes on the filter frequency and then resumes the sustain. I feel sorry for not figuring out how to do it.

pottering

Post by pottering » Mon May 18, 2020 10:51 pm

♥♥♥