Tips for integrating songs with different return channel FX into a single live performance template set?

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
emiska

Tips for integrating songs with different return channel FX into a single live performance template set?

Post by emiska » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:58 am

Hey folks, I’m wondering if anyone has any tips/strategies/best practices for putting together a master live performance template in Ableton live - ESPECIALLY tips for integrating songs which each have different return track effects.

To this last point: whenever I’m putting together a new “master” set for a live show, it’s a bit of a process integrating multiple different songs into one live set. Especially tricky is the matter sends/returns.

For example, “song1” might have a certain set of effects on return tracks, while songs 2 through 8 might have completely different sets of effects on their respective return tracks.

I’ve gotten around this by doing things like putting all of the individual send effects into chains on an audio effects rack on the sends in the live performance template set, and then automating the changes from one set of effects to another using either automation, or the IAC driver, or Clyphx Pro.

This works, but it’s still a fairly intricate and time consuming process. Ideally I’d always use exactly the same sends on each project so that I wouldn’t run into this issue in the first place, but in the meantime my workflow isn’t that set in stone and so I don’t have standardized return track FX.

For context, I might note a few things about my setup…

-I do a lot of live MIDI and live Audio (both looping and playing over pre-recorded audio). In other words, I’m not working from single song files that are neatly split up into A, B, and C parts.

-I’ve experimented a decent amount with different ways of organizing a live set, including both session and arrangement, and using multiple different tracks for each song (for example “live bass song1, drums song1, vocals song1, live bass song2, drums song2, backing synths song2” etc), and reusing the same tracks for each song and then using dummy clips to automate switching between chains on instrument or FX racks in order to switch presets between songs in order to save CPU.

-I’ve played around with the IAC driver in order to automate things like changing different settings and armings between songs, and have lately been using Clyphx Pro to do that.

If you have any ideas on how to manage the return channels while integrating multiple songs into a single live performance set, or general insights on integrating songs into a single live performance set in general, I’d really appreciate hearing what they are.

Thanks!

Greenapples2019

Re: Tips for integrating songs with different return channel FX into a single live performance template set?

Post by Greenapples2019 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:00 pm

Having tried dummy clips, IAC drivers and Return track chains to control FX during sets, I now use ClyphX Pro to do what you're looking to do, so I probably can't tell you something new, but might reassure you that you're on the right lines. I have macros set up in ClyphX Pro with specific Send combinations, and each song/scene has an x-clip that triggers the right macro/combo. I also use bindings on my Launchcontrol XL so that I can switch what the faders/knobs do with another macro or by pressing a button. It all seems to work seamlessly and instantly, and CPU usage is down compared with the other methods. I hope that's of some help.

Cheers

D

emiska

Re: Tips for integrating songs with different return channel FX into a single live performance template set?

Post by emiska » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:00 am

Greenapples2019 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:00 pm
Having tried dummy clips, IAC drivers and Return track chains to control FX during sets, I now use ClyphX Pro to do what you're looking to do, so I probably can't tell you something new, but might reassure you that you're on the right lines. I have macros set up in ClyphX Pro with specific Send combinations, and each song/scene has an x-clip that triggers the right macro/combo. I also use bindings on my Launchcontrol XL so that I can switch what the faders/knobs do with another macro or by pressing a button. It all seems to work seamlessly and instantly, and CPU usage is down compared with the other methods. I hope that's of some help.

Cheers

D
Hey Greenapples2019, thanks for the response. Good to know!

I'm also planning on seeing if I can set up something a bit hacky like automating switching between Live projects on the fly (something along the lines of playing back a loop while the project loads, and controlling that hacky little transition with the push of a button on Ableton Push). If that doesn't end up panning out, then I think CX Pro is indeed my best bet.

-emiska

Greenapples2019

Post by Greenapples2019 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:11 pm

Good luck emiska, especially switching Live sets on the fly!

The macros I use in ClyphX Pro for controlling the sends are pretty straightforward, , e.g.

$SONG_STYLE_A$ = 1/SEND A = 70; 1/SEND B = 80; 2/SEND A = 30 ...etc. etc.

$SONG_STYLE_B$ = 1/SEND A = 30; 1/SEND B = 40; 2/SEND A = 100

I then use another command if I want to select a particular device/chain.

I hope it all works out for you.

Cheers

D

emiska

Post by emiska » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:17 am

Greenapples2019 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:11 pm
Good luck emiska, especially switching Live sets on the fly!

The macros I use in ClyphX Pro for controlling the sends are pretty straightforward, , e.g.

$SONG_STYLE_A$ = 1/SEND A = 70; 1/SEND B = 80; 2/SEND A = 30 ...etc. etc.

$SONG_STYLE_B$ = 1/SEND A = 30; 1/SEND B = 40; 2/SEND A = 100

I then use another command if I want to select a particular device/chain.

I hope it all works out for you.

Cheers

D
Thanks a ton Greenapples2019! I really appreciate the granular advice :D

Happy ClyphX-ing yourself.

emiska