How to optimize sound selection?

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
Sebastian

How to optimize sound selection?

Post by Sebastian » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:55 pm

I have Natives plug ins, almost all of them (part of bundle with Mkii Native keyboard).
I also have a good bit of the Ableton sounds and instruments.

When I start sketching new ideas, I end up spending too much time just looking for sounds.

I suppose the solution is to have a list of favorites? How do I create a easy and quick access screen/place of favorite sounds?

jestermgee

Re: How to optimize sound selection?

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:37 pm

Depends on what sounds and where...

If you have an MKII keyboard then you have access to VST presets and favoriting them within KK. That is the main good feature of the KK software and for VSTs you may have that are not NKS check my signature for where you may find NKS libraries for them.

With ableton sounds you can make a simple user folder and when you find a patch you like, just drag it to your folder to make a copy of it. There are also the collections tagging you can apply and for effects (VST) I wrap them into a rack to save the preset and then drag them into a folder. You can do this with VSTs too if you don't want to use KK to browse your favourites, I do this with drum kits as I use Push for all my drum programming.

Take some time out every now and then to dig through your sounds and create your own library of favourites as it can certainly be daunting when you have "too much" choice to pick through.

Sebastian

Re: How to optimize sound selection?

Post by Sebastian » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:59 am

Thank you!

I am moving so it may be a while for me to try your suggestions.