Playhead position

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LunaticSound

Playhead position

Post by LunaticSound » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:20 pm

Hello new friends,

I just bought Ableton 10 Suite, coming from CuBase.

Maybe I am overlooking something, but I am having so much trouble with the playhead, or the playback position. I will just post all the questions that came up in my first few days of using Live 10 and hope, that there is something simple I am doing wrong, that will make me go "aahhh" and solve these problems. All of this is concerning the arrangement view.

Is the best way of setting the playback position really finding an empty area in your arrangement view and clicking there? Should there not be a designated space for that? Sometimes I accidentally click on automations, or select stuff... And right now I don´t know of another way for switching focus from the lower half of the screen (with fx chains or detailed clip) to the upper arrangement part, without clicking on it. Which makes me set the playback marker at the same time?

It´s also not very easy to set the playback marker to the beginning of the song. I know, that there is the home key for that, but that doesn´t work, when I am editing something in the lower half. Why? It doesn´t serve any other function then, so why disable it?

And then, the playback marker will automatically jump to the beginning of a midi clip, when I select it. Is there a way to disable this? I hate it, but I couldn´t find anything in the settings or the internet.

It goes on inside the midi clip. The solution to press ctrl + space to start a clip from the playmarker inside a midi clip is, well, I can live with that, but this marker also always gets moved somewhere else! If I even have a command exactly for starting from the position I designated, please leave that position there! Is there some different kind of marker, I can set? This is the most crucial thing to me, really. If the process of navigating in the song is not fast, my work is not fast.

One last question regarding this: Is there a setting or something, that allows me to make it so when I click on the upper little bar that makes the song instantly play from that position, the song will also play from there again once I click space (twice)? Or even better, is there a hotkey that jumps to this position without stopping playback?

I hope, I managed to explain, what I mean, as I am new and don´t really know the right terms probably, and I am also not a native english speaker. Sorry for the long rambling post, but I figured, there must be more people with these problems out there, so those might understand, what I am asking, if I just describe the whole situation. Any suggestion or help would be greatly appreciated, as Live is frankly quite amazing for its way of handling audio and chains and file management, but this playhead situation makes me almost want to go back to CuBase. I hope, I am just being dumb! :D

Or if this makes it clearer, if I could choose, I would want to have a button that consistently and always (!) sets the play marker to the beginning of the song, one that sets it to the beginning of the selected clip, and one that starts playback from where I put it. And then it shouldn´t move on its own at all. Is this achievable?

Thank you!

LunaticSound

Re: Playhead position

Post by LunaticSound » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:10 pm

Did I make the post too long? :oops:

So maybe TLDR:

Is there a way to make the playhead position NOT jump to selected clips?
Is there a way to use the home key when focus is on the lower half of the screen?
Is there a way to set custom play markers that will stay, where I put them and enable me to start playback from their position?

Answers to any of these will be greatly appreciated.

Spillover

Re: Playhead position

Post by Spillover » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:11 am

Agree with LunaticSound. The most absurd thing is that it is not possible to set a listening start point in the clip views. It is absolutely absurd that you have to set the starting point in the arrangement window in order to work while editing midi notes in the clip view window. Sure it is possible with the speaker icon to jump the listening point from one point to another, but that position is not stored after doing stop and play. Just get rid of that damn green triangle in the arrangement and leave only a triangle (blue, orange, pink, whatever color you like) where you place the mouse, and let it stay there until you decide to move it.