MULTIPLE FOLDERS for plug-ins

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
micksmuse

MULTIPLE FOLDERS for plug-ins

Post by micksmuse » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:52 pm

using ableton live 9 with windows

have all my vst's in one folder but that hard drive is getting maxed out even though i upgraded to a larger one.
i can't seem to see a way to have multiple folders for my plug-in custom folder because ableton only gives me one choice for a custom folder
i want to get a kronos set of samples for kontakt and keep it on a different hard drive where i have space.

is there any way to have more than one folder for your vst plug-in's?

thanks,

Tone Deft

Re: MULTIPLE FOLDERS for plug-ins

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:45 pm

make one with the Windows Explorer...
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

micksmuse

Post by micksmuse » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:47 pm

perhaps i didn't verbalize that correctly.
i know how to make another folder.
my question was how do i get ableton live to accept more than one folder as the custom plug-in folder.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:44 pm

Make subfolders inside the vst folder (using Windows Explorer), then just drag and drop your vst's into the new subfolders.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

micksmuse

Post by micksmuse » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:40 pm

that is not the problem. the problem is the folder i am using is on an SSD drive that is maxed out.
i have about 135GB more of samples etc. that i need to locate on another drive. so i can't put those in a sub folder or the existing vst folder because that drive is maxed out.
i am trying to find a way to have 2 custom Plug-in folders recognized by ableton because the one i am using is maxed out on space almost 1TB

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:52 am

micksmuse wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:52 pm
i want to get a kronos set of samples for kontakt and keep it on a different hard drive where i have space.
So ... going back to your original post.... the Kontakt vst does not have to be on the same drive as the sample libraries that Kontakt uses (like Kronos, in your example). You are free to put your Kontakt sampled instruments anywhere and then just point your Kontakt vst browser at up to 10 different drives/file locations. Even then, you can browse from those file locations to anywhere else, so there's really no limit in the Kontakt browser.

In my setup, Kontakt is on my C: drive, but all my Kontakt instruments (some of which are over 10 GB each) are on a separate (regular SATA) drive. It takes about 20 seconds to load one of these large instruments, but once loaded, it plays flawlessly.

micksmuse

Post by micksmuse » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:00 am

well that's good news. thanks for sticking with my question. much appreciated.

since you seem knowledgeable about native/kontakt.

i use a korg kronos synth. but it takes 5 min to boot up and sometimes i hate the wait and overusing it.
so i saw this large kronos sample library for kontakt.
if i just would use that would the sound quality be as good (they are 24 bit from what it states)
or would i get better sound quality going directly from my kronos into ableton?

thanks for your help

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:32 pm

I can't claim to be an expert on the Kronos, but according to what I saw on the Korg website, there are actual synthesis engines in that keyboard. The Kontakt instrument, no matter how large it is, is only a recording of what someone decided were the best/favorite/signature sounds the Kronos can produce. It will never have *all* the sounds that might be possible using those synthesis engines because Kontakt is really just a (very sophisticated) sampler.

You'll have to decide if the Kontakt instrument has all the Kronos sounds you will ever want.