Is there a way to do multiple takes and splice them together?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
ricecrispies

Is there a way to do multiple takes and splice them together?

Post by ricecrispies » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:15 pm

In Reaper you can record multiple takes for a track and then you can splice them together, so if you fluff a note in one take and then fluff a different note in another take, or if you just happen to have a wonderful moment in a third take, you can easily splice all the best bits of each take together, as in this screenshot:
Is there a way to achieve the same thing easily in Live?

Tone Deft

Re: Is there a way to do multiple takes and splice them together?

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:30 pm

In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ricecrispies

Post by ricecrispies » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:41 pm

That really doesn't come close to what you can do in Reaper. In Reaper the takes are visually stacked on top of each other so that when you split one, you split all of them at the same place, and you know that at any point in the time line all the takes will be at the same place in the song. You can easily choose to include line 1 of verse 1 from one take in your mix, line 2 from another take, and so on without having to move anything around.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:42 pm

The technique you're referring to is generally called "comping". While there are workarounds to achieve this in Live, this feature is not included, although plenty of people have asked for it.

My speculation is that since the focus of Live is on live performance (hence the name), recording studio techniques like comping are not something that get a lot of attention from the devs. But like I said, there are workarounds, so I personally don't miss it. Everyone's got to use what works for them.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

billybuck1

Post by billybuck1 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:42 pm

It’s a more manual process in AL, however you could approximate Reaper’s workflow by recording multiple takes into their own tracks, select all tracks when making your splits, and then use the 0 key to deactivate, rather than delete, segments you don’t want to use.

After editing, you can group all the edited tracks to get them onto one fader, or record the group to a new audio channel.

If you’re using FX on your vocals, it might also be good to start with the group and create your new “take” tracks as members of the group, that way you only have your FX on the group master track.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:59 pm

Last edited by Tone Deft on Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

ricecrispies

Post by ricecrispies » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:27 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:59 pm
the single most compelling reason I've had yet to try Reaper. the Reaper fanboys around here just post ugly noise.
I switched from Reaper to AL because, on balance, AL, and particularly the session view, gets me in a more experimental mood. But there are still occasions when I need to do something more straightforward and Reaper occasionally looks like the easiest way to do it.

I have also found that I can often get slightly lower latency using Reaper than using AL.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:58 pm

ricecrispies wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:27 pm
I switched from Reaper to AL because, on balance, AL, and particularly the session view, gets me in a more experimental mood. But there are still occasions when I need to do something more straightforward and Reaper occasionally looks like the easiest way to do it.
the way the two DAWs can work with each other is compelling. Reaper for straight up recording duties, Live for getting jiggy with it.

and Reaper is just $60! I forgot how cheap it is. :? someone may have finally converted me!
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Threaded Nail

Post by Threaded Nail » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:59 am

I had Reaper before switching to live and I sort of do the same thing with two tracks, you can edit warp markers or split clips on both tracks at the same time if both clips are selected.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:27 pm

there's bunch of different methods for making comping in Live less painful out there on the interwebs...