Help ! Midi Buffer after adding multiple VSTs

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
bobo_music

Help ! Midi Buffer after adding multiple VSTs

Post by bobo_music » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:54 pm

This is my first time posting so I'm not sure if this is the right section for this but lately whenever I add more than one VST there's a pretty bad buffer added to my midi controller. I'm kinda confused, the midi/volume meters light up as I press the keys but there's a delay in audio but the thing is I was messing around with the settings for my interface and controller and got it working and when I start a new project everything works fine until I add multiple plugins, or it'll still work until I reopen a project - and when it does that there won't be a buffer on any new projects or various old ones while others seem to save the buffer (??) Not really sure what's going on. Also it records just fine, like if I mute whatever track I'm recording onto and just play the notes in time the midi data saves in time, but I like being able to listen to what I'm playing while I play it so it's kinda bugging me a bit.

Sorry if this is a common issue and it's already been answered on here, I just didn't know exactly how to word it so I couldn't find any solutions. Thanks for any help!!

(I'm using an Alesis V49 and Tascam US2x2 if that matters)

Richie Witch

Re: Help ! Midi Buffer after adding multiple VSTs

Post by Richie Witch » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:24 pm

Sounds like you're exceeding whatever horsepower you have available..

You can mess with your audio interface's buffer settings, but if that doesn't help, you'll have to either reduce the number of vst's you use when you're playing the keyboard or beef up the power of the machine you're using for music production. For me (I do a lot of piano work in my tracks), I had to limit how many vst's I used when playing in a part from the keyboard, but once I had the MIDI part recorded, the delay disappeared.

If you've got money to spend, you could pick up some external hardware. For example, using a hardware reverb will save you a ton of CPU cycles because an effect like reverb eats up a pretty good chunk. But that's a whole different rabbit hole... :lol:
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

pottering

Re: Help ! Midi Buffer after adding multiple VSTs

Post by pottering » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:30 pm

It is not necessarily the number of plugins or their CPU usage, some plugins simply add latency (necessary for the plugin to work, no dev adds latency just for laughs), could be a single plugin adding huge latency (linear phase EQs, for example, they add huge latency)

You should check the plugins' latency, their manual should mention it, and you can hover with the mouse over the device title bar:

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... ive-device
♥♥♥