Recording next empty clip with MIDI foot controller?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
dustbg

Recording next empty clip with MIDI foot controller?

Post by dustbg » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:07 am

I want to be able to record next empty clip in track, just like using a "New" button in MIDI mappings, but without stopping my current playing clip.

This can be bone easy if I press "record" on next (or any empty) clip in my current track (session view). When I do that, ableton will play my current clip to the end and then will immediately start recording the clip I pressed record. I want to achieve this but with midi mapping/foot controller.

Any ideas how can I do that?

pushtotalk

Re: Recording next empty clip with MIDI foot controller?

Post by pushtotalk » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:29 pm

Hi dustbg. I've been using bome midi translator to send keystrokes from a midi message (macos). midistroke should be able to do the same thing but I wasn't able to get it working on my Catalina (10.15).

Bome has a free version for windows (midi translator classic) but only the pro version is available on both Win+Mac. www.bome.com

dustbg

Post by dustbg » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:01 am

Thank you pushtotalk,
I'm with Catalina too, but as I can see in Bome page: "MIDI Translator Pro 1.8.4 is fully compatible with Catalina". So it seams that pro version works on Catalina.
The problem is that I still don't know how to go to the next empty clip in track. Let's imagine that I have two tracks, one with five clips, other with two. I want when I select (and arm) certain track to be able to record next empty clip. What I can do with Bome is launch record if I'm already on empty clip.

Greenapples2019

Post by Greenapples2019 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:11 am

I'm pretty sure ClyphX Pro will be able to help you out, and do more e.g. set record length, quantize, play back immediately or wait 4 bars etc.

dustbg

Post by dustbg » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:15 am

I own ClyphX Pro, but don't know how to do that there. Any ideas where I can find examples for that? ClyphX Pro has examples but I can't find my case there.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:10 pm

Are you doing more than just the recording on a channel? Playing clips in session view simultaneously?

If not, you can use Scene triggering (mapping to the ‘trigger highlighted scene’ button). There is a Preference setting where you can make Scene automatically jump to the next scene down after being triggered. This automatically highlights the slot below what you’re recording, ready to be triggered.

If the channel is armed, launching the scene will trigger recording in that channel.

As mentioned, if you’re doing more than just recording in that single channel, things could get messy. If you’re playing things from Arrangement View while doing this, all you’d really need to do is remove all the Stop buttons from every clip slot in Session View. If you have something playing in Session View you can do kind of the same. But if you’re doing anything more complex than playing back single clip per channel on other channels while you do this, then this method wouldn’t necessarily be ideal.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:47 pm

dustbg wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:15 am
I own ClyphX Pro, but don't know how to do that there. Any ideas where I can find examples for that? ClyphX Pro has examples but I can't find my case there.
Get involved at the user group on facebook...

Https:/facebook.com/groups/clyphx-pro

Cheers
D