Sequencing clip triggers

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
Airfixx

Sequencing clip triggers

Post by Airfixx » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:47 pm

Hi,

Firstly, sorry if this is one of those common queries that rile regular posters..... I have been trying to research solutions myself, I swear. :(

So, what I am trying to do....

I have programmed a number of groups of midi clips that are each set to randomize via clip launch/follow action and I am trying to find a way to sequence which group is triggered when (by means of a dedicated midi clip on another track)... Obviously I can trigger them live via external control by assigning midi notes to the primary clip in each group, but Ableton won't allow me to in turn record said midi performance.

In theory it feels like this should be a pretty simple task, but perhaps not.

Is there some kind of work-around I haven't considered?

Many thanks!

invisibledan

Re: Sequencing clip triggers

Post by invisibledan » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:09 am

Airfixx wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:47 pm
Hi,

Firstly, sorry if this is one of those common queries that rile regular posters..... I have been trying to research solutions myself, I swear. :(

So, what I am trying to do....

I have programmed a number of groups of midi clips that are each set to randomize via clip launch/follow action and I am trying to find a way to sequence which group is triggered when (by means of a dedicated midi clip on another track)... Obviously I can trigger them live via external control by assigning midi notes to the primary clip in each group, but Ableton won't allow me to in turn record said midi performance.

In theory it feels like this should be a pretty simple task, but perhaps not.

Is there some kind of work-around I haven't considered?

Many thanks!
Not 100% I totally understand but if you could record the midi output of the track into another track, you should capture all of the midi notes played from the triggered clips.
That what you're after?
Or even record into arrangement.

Also, your name seems familiar ;)

Airfixx

Post by Airfixx » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:24 am

invisibledan wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:09 am

Not 100% I totally understand but if you could record the midi output of the track into another track, you should capture all of the midi notes played from the triggered clips.
That what you're after?

(Ahhh, small internet, Dan.... Hope you keeping safe n sound! :wink: )

Cheers for the reply!

Yeh, you got the picture generally... Although I'm just toying with a work-around for a work-around (Lol).... Ultimately, what I'm trying to achieve is another level of clip-launching... To mimic a partially random algorithm that would effectively allow me to achieve the following. i.e.

- Play one of clip group X (Bar 1-3)
- Then play one of clip group Y (Bar 4 - fill)
- Then pay one of clip group Z (Bar 5-7)
- Then one of clip group Y again (Bar 8 fill)
- Repeat

....The goal being structured drum progressions with random fills in predetermined places.

Probably calls for a bit of custom Max4Live wizardry, but I'm a bit of a novice.... Perhaps someone out there may be able to recommend such a device (preferably that doesn't cost a lump of dosh).

invisibledan

Post by invisibledan » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:45 pm

Airfixx wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:24 am
invisibledan wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:09 am

That what you're after?

(Ahhh, small internet, Dan.... Hope you keeping safe n sound! :wink: )

Cheers for the reply!

Yeh, you got the picture generally... Although I'm just toying with a work-around for a work-around (Lol).... Ultimately, what I'm trying to achieve is another level of clip-launching... To mimic a partially random algorithm that would effectively allow me to achieve the following. i.e.

- Play one of clip group X (Bar 1-3)
- Then play one of clip group Y (Bar 4 - fill)
- Then pay one of clip group Z (Bar 5-7)
- Then one of clip group Y again (Bar 8 fill)
- Repeat

....The goal being structured drum progressions with random fills in predetermined places.

Probably calls for a bit of custom Max4Live wizardry, but I'm a bit of a novice.... Perhaps someone out there may be able to recommend such a device (preferably that doesn't cost a lump of dosh).
Right, not given it much thought (or tried it!) but this might work....

if you were to sample your midi clips (opens a world of other audio possibilities too ;) ) then have 4 clips (one for each group), each with every sample of that group assigned to a different chain then use a random lfo to trigger which chain/sample to play then you are free to use the follow action as normal.
Make sense?

And cheers, very well thanks despite the world falling around our ears. Hope you are well too :)

Airfixx

Post by Airfixx » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:59 pm

invisibledan wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:45 pm
Right, not given it much thought (or tried it!) but this might work....

if you were to sample your midi clips (opens a world of other audio possibilities too ;) ) then have 4 clips (one for each group), each with every sample of that group assigned to a different chain then use a random lfo to trigger which chain/sample to play then you are free to use the follow action as normal.
Make sense?

And cheers, very well thanks despite the world falling around our ears. Hope you are well too :)
Thx... Nice idea... Will have a tinker and see what I come up with. :D

invisibledan

Post by invisibledan » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:23 pm

Doh, was a bit muddled. Blame the beer.
For some reason I had each clip with its own instrument rack but obviously that won’t work on just the one track. :oops: