Record in Loop

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
guipacsantos

Record in Loop

Post by guipacsantos » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:13 pm

So I am trying to record a video of myself in real time, as I create a song from scratch and instruments are added one at a time

Say I enable loop mode for 8 bars, when the loop returns to the beginning Ableton's default settings keep recording going without interruptions.

And that is my issue because with audio, unless I turn the record button off, loop mode will overwrite what I previously recorded as it starts over again. With MIDI I don't have a problem. as long as I turn the Overdub mode on I keep what was previously recorded.

The same issue happens in Session View. I recorded a clip hoping that once the loop started over, it would playback in sync. But no, it keeps recording until I either play it manually in Session View or hit the stop button and playback everything from the start.

Does anyone know if there is a setting I can change that will allow recording to stop as the loop is starting again?

johnnycarlos

Re: Record in Loop

Post by johnnycarlos » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:11 pm

It sounds like you are selecting a region in Arrangement View and setting that as your loop. This will cause the recording playhead to return to the beginning and overwrite your recording. Try creating a Session Clip that is 8 bars and let that loop instead. When you record your audio track it should keep recording until you hit stop. Set your Global Quantization to 8 bars, then your newly recorded clip will start to loop and playback so long as you hit stop recording(the red triangle in Session View) before the 8th bar ends. If you are late to hit stop recording, then you'll need to move the clip's end point back to match the loop( end the 8th bar).

Hope that helps. There may be better answers as I'm learning still too :)