Retrospective Audio Capture

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
ResonanceCascade

Retrospective Audio Capture

Post by ResonanceCascade » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:07 pm

Hello!

I would like to have the ability to retrospectively capture audio without having to press "record" beforehand, but I'm not sure what tools I need to accomplish this.

For context, when jamming or improvising live, it's hard to know in advance whether I will want the next x number of bars to be recorded/sampled or not.
So for example, let's say I'm singing into my microphone and I notice that it didn't sound horrible, so I'd like to put what I just did on a specific track to be looped. Ideally, I'd have multiple buttons on my Push 2 (or any other midi device) mapped to different lengths (1, 2, 4 bars, etc) and different tracks, so for example button A would "copy" or "capture" the last bar of mic input to track 1, button B would do the same for the last 2 bars, button C for the last 4 bars, etc, repeated for multiple tracks (so let's say button E would copy the last 2 bars to track 2, etc.).

I know that it's possible because I've seen it on someone else's setup, but I have no idea how it was implemented. Can this be done with just Ableton Live's routing and midi mapping alone? Is there a specific VST that does this? Or would I need to do scripting to achieve this?

Thank you!

ResonanceCascade

Re: Retrospective Audio Capture

Post by ResonanceCascade » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:49 pm

So, I actually managed to somehow achieve this, but only with a paid VST and in a way that seems very... hacky.

I really hope this will become a built-in feature soon!

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Retrospective Audio Capture

Post by [jur] » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:59 pm

There's a free m4l device called Audio Treasure (from maxforcats) that could help you.
Ableton Forum Moderator