VST (guitar AMP) audio in signal

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
HayateJC

VST (guitar AMP) audio in signal

Post by HayateJC » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:35 pm

Hi,

I've downloaded several guitar amp VST's so I can modulate some nice amp sounds.
With the audio effects in Ableton, you can modulate amps, but I don't like these sounds very much.

I just don't get how to get the audio signal as an input for the VST. I can drag audio clips in the track after recording, but I want to listen to the VST live while I play it.
Ableton creates a MIDI track when opening the VST but I can't choose the input from my audio interface.

Can someone please tell me how to do this? Or is this not possible in Ableton?

Excuse me if this a very simple question but I'm pretty new to Ableton and I just can't find the answer on the web.

Thanks!

TLW

Re: VST (guitar AMP) audio in signal

Post by TLW » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:29 pm

In general you need to create an audio track and drag the plugin from the browser pane into the plugins pane at the bottom of the track window. Then set the track’s input to whichever interface input your guitar is plugged into and track output to “master”. To hear the plugin working as you play set the track’s monitoring pull-down to “in” or record-arm the track with monitoring set to “auto”. To hear already recorded audio the monitoring setting needs to be set to “auto”.

You may well need to try to reduce the ASIO/Core Audio audio buffer size in Live’s preferences to avoid an objectionable amount of latency between you playing a note and hearing it.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

HayateJC

Re: VST (guitar AMP) audio in signal

Post by HayateJC » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:37 pm

Thanks for the tip! It worked when I clicked "in".
I had all my settings on auto before.

I still have to figure out how to mute the audio from the interface itself, because now I hear them both.
But at least I can record now :D