A way to reliably keep Date log of “.als lastly opened”

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
spanktron

A way to reliably keep Date log of “.als lastly opened”

Post by spanktron » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:51 am

Hi everyone.

I am looking for a way to reliably keep a katalog-list of when an .als was opened.

The list inside Live “Recently opened” is too short for me.

Then if i search for “.als” through the search function on the mac and choose “sort according to date” it is not even close
To when i opened what.

Is there a way to keep a reliable log of chronologically showing when i opened a live set?

Peace

jestermgee

Re: A way to reliably keep Date log of “.als lastly opened”

Post by jestermgee » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:32 pm

Is there not a way on mac to order by “modified date” not created date? I have my projects ordered this way so stuff I work on is always at the top but I’m windows.

spanktron

Re: A way to reliably keep Date log of “.als lastly opened”s

Post by spanktron » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:56 am

jestermgee wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:32 pm
Is there not a way on mac to order by “modified date” not created date? I have my projects ordered this way so stuff I work on is always at the top but I’m windows.
Hi there.

Well,,,,, i wish it was so easy ...

Yes you can let it show you “order , last opened-modified “ etc.

My issue is that the Date is not saved correctly. At least it makes no sense. The list shows me the latest 3-4 .als but then the gaps are huge. As if the date is not reliably stored with the .als . Sometimes there are gaps as big as weeks, even though they should be listed closely like Dates that are 1-2 days apart. So if i might have opened and edited 40 .als in 10 days, the only correct chronological order is inside Live in the “recently opened” list. Everything else on the computer , be that .als or Project , is not showing the true Date. So if i forget the name of a recent project after 10 days of not opening it, i might have a hard time finding it

TLW

Post by TLW » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:08 pm

There are several ways to find when a file was last opened.

If you open a finder window and right-click in the bar at the top of the list that says "title" etc. one of the options that appears is "date last opened". Activate that and it will add a new column to the finder header giving the date a file was last opened. Which you can then use to sort the files by date last opened in the same way you sort by file name etc. You need to do this for every directory you want that display option to appear in.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

spanktron

Post by spanktron » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:09 am

TLW wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:08 pm
There are several ways to find when a file was last opened.

If you open a finder window and right-click in the bar at the top of the list that says "title" etc. one of the options that appears is "date last opened". Activate that and it will add a new column to the finder header giving the date a file was last opened. Which you can then use to sort the files by date last opened in the same way you sort by file name etc. You need to do this for every directory you want that display option to appear in.
Jesus how can i bee so stupid?! It didn`t wvn cross my mind to change the settings in the Finder cause i was so frustrated.

That was it! I had only activated "Last opened... Date X" and now added the most important thing which was "Last Modified... Date X"

Thank you so much! Deffinitely made my night

TLW

Post by TLW » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:33 pm

spanktron wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:09 am
Jesus how can i bee so stupid?
Well, if you’re stupid so am I. My first thought was it’s the kind of thing often easiest done from a terminal shell, so I did a quick search and found the method I suggested. I’d simply forgotten about adding columns to the finder displays.

As for Terminal methods, the “stat” bash/zsh shell command can do the job in a very sophisticated way and it’s output can be piped to “less” to give a readable list, but “complicated” doesn’t begin to describe “stat” and its options and flags.

It’s just occurred to me that it might be possible to make Live’s “recent” menu show more files than it does by default, and the “Apple” menu’s “recent files” list has a configurable number of entries, though it isn’t restricted to just files opened in Live of course.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

spanktron

Post by spanktron » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:41 pm

TLW wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:33 pm
spanktron wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:09 am
Jesus how can i bee so stupid?
Well, if you’re stupid so am I. My first thought was it’s the kind of thing often easiest done from a terminal shell, so I did a quick search and found the method I suggested. I’d simply forgotten about adding columns to the finder displays.

As for Terminal methods, the “stat” bash/zsh shell command can do the job in a very sophisticated way and it’s output can be piped to “less” to give a readable list, but “complicated” doesn’t begin to describe “stat” and its options and flags.

It’s just occurred to me that it might be possible to make Live’s “recent” menu show more files than it does by default, and the “Apple” menu’s “recent files” list has a configurable number of entries, though it isn’t restricted to just files opened in Live of course.
I can remember a few years back someone told me how to make Lives internal "Recently opened" list longer. I think it keeps 15 or 20 entries now? But even then it was too little for me. I switch too often between projects and need this list in order to sometimes say "hmm what i am looking for happened in the last month" if you get what i mean. so for me the solution would be , showing the last 50 or even better 100 last .als i opened in the "Recenty opened" list inside Live but from what i remember that was not possible? Could be wrong though