Improve closing time for Ableton?

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
andreasgoteson

Improve closing time for Ableton?

Post by andreasgoteson » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:57 am

Hi there!

When working with larger projects (e.g. 20+ tracks, multiple plugins or large sample libraries) Ableton takes A LONG TIME to close. Typically Windows messages "Program not responding" but if I click "wait" and wait for some 30+ minutes it closes properly without a crash.

Is there anything I can do before closing Ableton to help it close faster? Switching between projects within ableton is typically faster.

I'm on a pretty old Intel-based laptop (i7-4710HQ, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Windows 10, Ableton 10 and 11beta). Reading large samples is fast enough and I have CPU-headroom for quite large projects but possibly my SSD write speeds are too slow?

Very thankful for any advice!

//Andreas

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Improve closing time for Ableton?

Post by [jur] » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:55 pm

It sounds like an issue with 3rd party plugins. I think you should try in this area.
Ableton Forum Moderator

andreasgoteson

Post by andreasgoteson » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:24 pm

Thanks.

Update for anyone interested: I could not identify any issues with third-party plugins. My best guess is that it took time to unload samples from memory in windows, but I can not really see why that would be an issue.

For my part I actually upgraded my computer (for other reasons) so this is not an issue anymore.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:10 pm

Thanks for coming back and updating on your issue at least, it's a rare thing these days.

One other thing you could have done just as a test would have been to open the task manager and observe disk/memory and CPU activity to see if there is anything going on there.

Your system was just a scratch older than mine but 30 minutes is a long time to shut down an application, even flushing a few GB from memory should take only a few seconds. Likely there was some issue with a plugin of some kind or some other process. WHat would have been interesting to test is if you simply use the File > New option if the same thing happened to create a new project and if you have a blank project and closed Live did you get the same thing.

So many things that you could have tested but didn't catch this post back then and seems you now have a new system without this issue but maybe in the future someone might actually do a search for an answer and find some things to test.