Can you duplicate an envelope, to use it again for another parameter on the same track?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
rdan76

Can you duplicate an envelope, to use it again for another parameter on the same track?

Post by rdan76 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:43 am

Sometimes I want to automate two values of the same track according to the exact same envelope. This shouldn't be hard. It should be a simple matter of copying the desired envelope, then changing which parameter of the track I'm automating, and finally pasting the copied envelope into the same track. Unfortunately, envelopes don't seem to work that way in Ableton.

I can copy an envelope and paste it to a NEW track, but that's not what I'm trying to accomplish. For some reason, copying from one track to another works, but copying from one track to a different parameter on the same track doesn't. Can anyone help me out? Is there a trick to making this work?

rdan76

Re: Can you duplicate an envelope, to use it again for another parameter on the same track?

Post by rdan76 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:48 am

Hmm... Suddenly, mysteriously, it worked, and I don't know what I did different. Guess I'll keep fooling around with it, and maybe figure out what super-secret "place to click" unlocked it for me. Ugh.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Can you duplicate an envelope, to use it again for another parameter on the same track?

Post by [jur] » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:28 am

Maybe your "automation lock" was turned on.
Ableton Forum Moderator