Trigger next scene only after current one is completely finished

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Carlo Laitano

Trigger next scene only after current one is completely finished

Post by Carlo Laitano » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:59 am

So, I’m pretty new at using Session view and I’m using a Ableton for backup tracks as my wife and I lead worship online from our home. So far it’s been just our two voices and my guitar. I decided it was time to step it up a notch and pre-record all instruments myself and use Live with an iPad app (LK) as a controller (no push or launch key for me yet 😜)

I’ve set up all of my tracks and scenes the way/order I would play them regularly. I’ve set up some to repeat endlessly until I pick another scene and some to end and trigger the next scene automatically (stuff like bridges, etc). My only (and big) issue is I can’t figure out how to set it up so that I can trigger another scene but have that current scene end first. Right now I trigger the next scene but it goes to it pretty much straight away. As I’m playing guitar this is not ideal and easily breaks rhythm. I’d like to decide a next scene, trigger it, and finish the current one completely.

I’m sure this is a simple issue for the more experienced users but hey, I’m new, so I’ll get there eventually ! :). And sorry if there’s other threads about this. I took time to search but maybe I’m just using the wrong keywords 😅

S4racen

Re: Trigger next scene only after current one is completely finished

Post by S4racen » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:11 pm

Thats not a native feature of Live 10, there are follow actions for scenes in Live 11...

Or if you have MaxforLive then this device achieves what you are looking for by cueing up the next scene only to be triggered when your guide clip ends.

https://isotonikstudios.com/follow

Cheers
D

Carlo Laitano

Post by Carlo Laitano » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:55 pm

S4racen wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:11 pm
Thats not a native feature of Live 10, there are follow actions for scenes in Live 11...

Or if you have MaxforLive then this device achieves what you are looking for by cueing up the next scene only to be triggered when your guide clip ends.

https://isotonikstudios.com/follow

Cheers
D
Oh! In my head it seemed like such basic functionality. Thanks for the clarification. I'm going to sign up for and try the 11 beta :)

Thanks!!!

kenjoswe

Post by kenjoswe » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:06 pm

Hi,
You can do this.
Let's say you have 2 scenes with two clips 4 bars each.
Set the global quantisation (top left corner) to 4 bars.
Start the first scene and trigger the second scene directly then the second scene will wait for the first one to finish.

Kent J.
Kent, Stockholm,Sweden