Randomize track volume

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
TalMusik

Randomize track volume

Post by TalMusik » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:11 am

Hej musicians,

i make generative music and now i am looking for a way, to randomize the volume of a track, not the master volume.

I put the utility in a track and now i look for a solution to change the output gain by an randomizing effect.

Any idea? I search since a week in YouTube with no result.

Best wishes
TalMusik

yur2die4

Re: Randomize track volume

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:29 pm

There are a variety of Max plugins that could give you methods to do this. It depends on what Kind of randomization

If you want it to be set once, and then set to a different level at another time, that’s like, randomization at intervals.

Another kind of randomization is movement and noise, whether it just goes up, down, where ever, and is constantly in ‘motion’.

So, for intervals, you might just press a button that says ‘set to random amount’. Or have something that automatically does that. In Live 11, you’ll be able to randomize macro values in racks.

For movement you have a lot of different options with varying results. One very clear cut option is the Max for Live LFO devices. But there might be a lottt of other similar devices they might give you results closer to what you’re looking for.

A workaround without Max is to use Autopan with zero phase, and mess with the parameters on there.